Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

According to our tech support team, this is not a product defect. TurboTax Desktop for prior years does not support E-file for amendments like TurboTax Online does. Apparently, the signature date is the trigger for rejecting an e-file attempt.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hrg1
Level 3

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

@PatriciaVDoes this mean that using the desktop version means we cannot e-file an amended return/1040X? Or does it mean we cannot file an amended return if the calendar year has ended? I'm not sure why, assuming we do our original e-filing in April, the program would allow filing an amendment through 12/31 of that year, but not after 12/31. What is the logic behind that?

Also, this seems to indicate that we can e-file an amended return if we just use 12/31 as the signature date. Are you able to tell us what repercussions that would have?

Thank you.

I agree, my current version of TurboTax Desktop seems to suggest e-filing for amendments is just fine as long as the signature date is before 12/31/2023. So it's not clear to me that TurboTax Desktop doesn't support e-file for amendments at all; it just has a check for a date range that could be removed in a bug fix.

This does not make sense, all over the website it’s mentioned that we can file an amendment using efile, but now it’s a limitation for desktop users only? Why cannot be fixed with an update? My tax return is 189 pages, I don’t want to print all them and send it 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

It appears that TurboTax Desktop for prior years does not support E-file for amendments like TurboTax Online does. It is in hopes that one day the prior year E-file for amends will become supported on TurboTax Desktop. Until then to file your amended return you may print and file by mail. 

Here is a link with instructions on how to do so: How do I print and mail a return in TurboTax Desktop for Windows?

We have requested an update to the amend return e-file articles to specify this applies to the Online version only.

Can I transfer my Turbotax Desktop 2022 return to Turbotax Online and e-file the amendment from there?

NO

Would this also be the case for TurboTax 2023? I've been using TurboTax for over 7 years now, I had to file an amendment for the first time, and it's a huge disappointment yet the software doesn't allow such a basic feature. So frustrated that TurboTax cannot fix this simple basic feature over an update. 

Yes, I agree, this will make me look for a different tax solution next year.

S66

I'm in the same boat when I tried to submit an amendment earlier today using the 2022 Mac version. I even went ahead and tried entering 12/31/2023 as signature date and the transmission still failed saying deadline to file was October 16, 2023. In my case this amendment will change my loss carryover and now I'm in limbo. If I file by paper, I guess it takes a long time and I'm not sure if I need to wait until this amendment is processed to submit my current year taxes. Really frustrating that desktop version is unable to e-file amendments while all of their articles talks about this ability and even the desktop version says we can e-file amendments. It should be a pretty easy software update and I'm not sure why turbo tax is doing this. Does anyone here know how to escalate this withing TurboTax Tech support?

Tech support should be looking at this issue since it is widespread.  I am beyond livid that I can't submit it with my download. 

FYI, putting in December 31, 2023 for signature date doesn't do anything either.  Still get that message.

Turbotax needs to fix this, since most people DO NOT want to mail personal information like Social Security numbers through the mail anymore.   It isn't safe.  Then we have to pay extra to mail it Certified mail with return receipt.  But then when IRS gets it, I have found they are more prone to losing/misplacing paper tax returns, and if they don't lose it, everything takes longer.

TURBOTAX - there is a reason we pay for your services.  Don't lose customers to other tax filing choices we have!

Please fix this immediately!

I face the same problem

I also posted my comment as a main subject and nobody from Turbotax has responded.  These tax programs are turning out to be more of a pain than help lately

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Efile for amended returns is only available for the current year. You must paper file amendments for prior year returns. 

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

Anyone knows if this is a technical issue only for TurboTax or the same issue happens to all other softwares?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies