Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to e-file return and turbo tax says bank routing number does not match (last year). It is the same number I used last year & verified with bank. What to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Trying to e-file return and turbo tax says bank routing number does not match (last year). It is the same number I used last year & verified with bank. What to do?

Try this ...choose to get a check the close program & reboot computer . Then try the FILE tab again ...see if that fixes the issue. 

RonMiller

I tried this twice with the same result. Got msg "the routing number does not match" which is not true. It's been verified with the bank and it's printed on the checks.

pjfk
Level 1

Same here - in 2020 for a 2019 return. It's barfing on my son's return, which has the same routing number as mine (which worked) because it's the same bank, same as last year even, and I've even both entered it manually and copy/pasted it from the bank's own website. There seems to be no way to get around this - are we supposed to guess the 9 digit number it isn't showing us?

pjfk
Level 1

OK, what seems to work:

hit Back in the bottom left corner, then "Direct Deposit to a new bank account"

it will show you the information that's somehow different, change it, then go forward again.

abc123456

This worked for me!  Thank you so much because I was getting very frustrated.

Kamerin

you can also fix the error by going into forms mode. "info Wrks"  Form. Just scroll down and enter the correct direct deposit information 

As another user posted that worked for me, hit the back button, click add to another bank account, re-enter the routing and banking number you want to use, even if it's the same one, on the simulated check, then click next and add numbers again. Should work. 

mernastr

thank you..this worked for me...so frustrating!

For me the solution was to add two leading zeros to my account #, as found on the bottom of my checks.  Even though TT said the routing number was the issue, it was actually the account number.

Jlmillier

That worked!  Thanx a million.  Doing taxes is frustrating enough without having to deal with something dumb at the end.

kurtzorke

I had the same issue January of 2023.  I plugged in a different account and routing number (another account we have), advanced the next page, and verified that account.  Then, I went back and reentered the old account info (our primary account) and it accepted the info.  Seems to be a glitch in carrying the account info forward from previous turbo tax returns.  

Turbotax.  Come on.  Fix this.  

nm238926
Returning Member

Try this: Go to forms inforwkst, near routing and account number. Double check direct deposit and direct debit are not both checked yes. This worked for me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies