Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought house 2007 which has barns & out buildings. Using barns last yr did not submit it on 2017 taxes. How do I add it as storage/livestock shelter in 2018 4,800 sq.ft.

I have a Farm business. I have goats, Emus, chickens and also a large garden. I have a Farm Market in the summer. Sell Eggs part of the year. The barn is for animal shelter & storage and I already have an office expense in the house itself for, business accounting. Plus I use the space to grow plants to sell & grow fodder for my animals. How do I add a second expense for the barn? I tried adding it as an expense but it asks for the cost of the barn. It was included in the coast of my property when we bough the house in 2007. I have an outside greenhouse which I have to repair again before using and am in the process of building a second greenhouse on our deck. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Bought house 2007 which has barns & out buildings. Using barns last yr did not submit it on 2017 taxes. How do I add it as storage/livestock shelter in 2018 4,800 sq.ft.

To add the expense for the barn, you will need to make a reasonable computation of the barn's cost/basis.  Since the purchase price of your home included the barn, one way to make the computation is to take the total square footage of all the buildings on the property, including the house, and divide the barn's square footage by the total square footage to arrive at a percentage.  Then apply this percentage to the price you paid for the property when purchased in 2007 and use that amount as the cost of the barn.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

To add the expense for the barn, you will need to make a reasonable computation of the barn's cost/basis.  Since the purchase price of your home included the barn, one way to make the computation is to take the total square footage of all the buildings on the property, including the house, and divide the barn's square footage by the total square footage to arrive at a percentage.  Then apply this percentage to the price you paid for the property when purchased in 2007 and use that amount as the cost of the barn.  

I got your message too late, LOL I am slow with all the technology. I am 70 years old and technology has passed me by years ago. But TY so much for answering.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies