turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filed February 11, still in processing. How long can IRS legally hold refund?

@sleazyone666 

Called the IRS lately? Agency struggles to hire customer service reps despite pandemic unemployment ...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have called the irs every since after the 21 days of me filing electronically and like i said if i put in my ssn the amount im suppose to get and how i filed whether it be single married or otherwise they say they have no information or my favorite due to high call volume no one can take your call and they hang up so i have called what i cant understand though is other then the paper returns you would think that they could process the electronic ones even if they were working from home instead your more likely to get a vague letter that says itsin processeing or that they need another 60 days to review your return but like i said i already waited a year for my 2019 refund and only after getting a tax advocate did they do anything otherwise every time i called it was its still under review it shouldn't take a year to review something 

I called Last month and was told I'd have them definitely by 1 week ago.. I still don't have 2019 or 2020, or any stimulus plus turbo overdraft my  checking account since I haven't received any refund 

I finally got my 2019 after a year and 2 momths but now i dont have my 2020 i had to get a tax advocate because i would call and always be told it was under review they never said they needed anything just that it was under review and if your lucky to get someone on the phone then you still get no where

Mike4040

My e-file was accepted by the IRS on April 27, 2021. It say that it is still being processed, and I have received no communication. It has now been 127 days. :(

You are not alone. Millions are still waiting. Turbo Tax only gives you an estimated date. The IRS usually pays most refunds within 21 days. But these are not normal times. This year is taking the IRS longer to send the refunds. There are millions more people filing returns to get the Stimulus payment.

See this news article on Refunds being delayed
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/where-is-my-damn-irs-tax-refund-new-answers-emerge-a...

Only the IRS can tell you. If your return was Accepted then check IRS Where's my refund
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

When will you get your refund?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/01/25589

IRS - Questions about Refunds
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I know this is an old thread, but . . . 

In 2012 I was going through a lot of upheaval in my life and over paid a lot in estimated taxes since my earnings ended up being much less than anticipated.  I filed my tax return before April 15th 2013 and forgot about it.  In 2015 I received a check from the IRS for the amount of my refund plus interest with no explanation.  As I said, I forgot about my refund and thought the check was a mistake so I called the IRS.  There still was no explanation, but they did confirm that the check was legitimate as it was a refund from 2012.

My taxes for 2020 was filed February 26,2021 it's been well over 45 days. Where is my tax refund? 

@Patricianewsome wrote:

My taxes for 2020 was filed February 26,2021 it's been well over 45 days. Where is my tax refund? 

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

How much longer do I have to wait!!

I have had this issue before and let me just say they can hold it for a while i got my 2019 taxes a year after i filed them and then my 2020 taxes got held up for a bit so keep calling them because maybe there is something they need from you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies