turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jm82

The IRS sent me a letter stating that they are reviewing my refund. is this an Audit? how long should it take on average?

I'm not able to work right now because of this COVID-19. What do they expect people to do? I desperately need my money.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS sent me a letter stating that they are reviewing my refund. is this an Audit? how long should it take on average?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my tax return at H&R block on 2/23/2020 i didn't hear from the Irs nor h&r block so I decided to call the irs the lady told me my refund was under view I don't understand why its being reviewed then I called h&r block the tax paper told me she didn't know why it was being reviewed I payed $676.00 for my refund to be submitted I haven't received my refund 

I’m sorry to hear that... But let me just start by asking... Why in the world, is HRB charging that much to for preparation? Isn’t there a law against this type of price gouging?! One can only assume your a business owner, or something that entails a super difficult tax situation:/? But besides that, according to the IRS website, while many tax returns have been subject to scrutiny, for the most part, most tax returns file by a reputable source, HRB being one, would (in most simple filing instances) not fall under such criteria. But,, it’ is possible, if their new “computer system” caught a snag somewhere along the line... If it’s under review there are numerous reason why:

1.) You forgot to file ALL earned income (w2’s) from either current or prior years, as far back as 2017. Rather you worked and earned income for a couple weeks, or months, depending on the total earnings from one certain employer, it can be detected by their updated technology, which catches a lot of discrepancies that the IRS wouldn’t pay no mind to in their past.
2.) Your tax return consists of self employed, cash income and claim EIC with dependents. 
3.) Mathematical error

4.) Someone other than yourself, also claimed a CTC, with the same social security number, got rejected and mailed in their paper tax return insisting they ought to claim this dependent. 
5.) IRS needs to verify your identity. 
6.) Simple mistake on your tax return such as dependent address different than your tax profile address. 
7.) Your current tax return claims tax credits, that don’t reflect prior years tax credits especially if your claiming the EITC. The IRS has been aiming toward verifying all tax returns, since 2018’s tax season. Especially  if tax preparations are being filed through online DIY sites like turbo tax and HRB’s DIY site. 
These are just a few examples of why tax returns could be placed under review. This is a new thing and if anyone hasn’t gone through this, they might be in the coming years. 
This hold up has hit millions of tax payers this year, and last. While most people file their taxes and already have plans for their refunds and have a pretty good idea when to expect it in their bank. This whole process has blind sided many to the contrary. No matter how big or small your refund is, or how much earned income, they are reviewing even the most vulnerable, and auditing any questionable returns. This year has been a roller coaster ride for many people, and tax filing. Beside the frustrating hold ups amid tax reviews, and all, this pandemic, has further delayed tax season even more. Since the IRS extended the tax date to July 15th for this tax season, by law they have until that date to have everyone’s tax returns completed. The Treasury Secretary stated that they will be calling their IRS personnel back into the office soon... In assumption, I’d imagine they will be back to work next week, to continue processing everyone’s refunds, follow up on correspondence, and finalize the remainder of this years tax returns. 

Have you tried to file unemployment? Right now is better than any, to file a claim. It’s a windfall. If you can get on the site, without it being jammed up. But once you do, if you haven’t already, your automatic $2400 a month on top of your approved payout is worth the try. It’s consistent until July 30th, and possibly (if extended) until October 30th. 

I received the letter from the review board they said they didn't need anything from me they just review my refund but that's what I don't understand I gave her all my info i don't understand I been going to h&r block for over 18 years I haven't had a issue before now I don't understand what she did wrong

How can I contact the Congressman In the state of Texas concerning my tax refund cause its not fair I payed for my taxes in 2/23/2020 I haven't received it

@Tavette49 wrote:

How can I contact the Congressman In the state of Texas concerning my tax refund cause its not fair I payed for my taxes in 2/23/2020 I haven't received it

One problem is that there are very few IRS personnel working during the Coronavirus emergency so your review may be paused and in limbo for a while.

You may wish to try the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service first.   The IRS general live assistance call centers are closed due to Coronavirus,  but I believe the Taxpayer Advocate Service is still answering the phone, since their offices are local in your state, and it's a smaller department.   They may be able to look up info on your review and can sometimes help to hasten it.  They are especially prone to help if you have a hardship.

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

@Jeremyelstein I filed on Jan 22 Accepted January 27 and 3 months in and still waiting

Kura2018

They said they issued it

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Not necessarily.

It may just mean they are taking a bit longer to go over your return as something may not match up or they need to very more information. 

We cannot give you a time frame as the IRS has been taking longer to process many returns because of the Covid-19 situation and the stimulus payments.

Please see the attached link for other reasons it may take longer to process as well.

Why it takes longer to process some returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed Jan. 31 2020.   I received a letter stating my refund was under review.   When looking up my status, it just says its processing.   Now its been 6 months and all the IRS tells me is that they have to wait for specific workers in that department to come back from the COVID break to complete my review.   Every time I reach someone they tell me I have to give them another 60 days to review.   If there is no one in the office to review, then the time frame (60 days) does not start til they return and the 60 days can keep being extended.  So as of today, August 1, I am told I have to give them another 60 days before I can call back to check on it.   I have not received any other letters asking for any additional information.   The tax advocate office is no help.   They just told me that they can not help me and I have no choice but to wait for the review to be complete.  I am struggling with bills and need my refund to help catch up.   They also are holding my stimulus check and state that they can not release it until 1 week after my refund has been completed.   The stimulus check is suppose to be for helping me now ....not later.  So frustrating. 

@smclemore1974 exact same situation even with stimulus except I filed 2/4. No other notices except the one I got dated 2/19 notifying me of a review. 

tittoe67
Returning Member

So, I e-filed early January and IRS accepted it Jan 27, 2020. 

February 12, 2020 I received a letter that they were reviewing my return. 

Then the looooong wait until July when I finally managed to speak with someone.. only because I went through the advocacy (hardship) automated system. Figured this would surely get me through to speak with an actual person, and it did, however, they explained the already known facts to me that ‘we’re in a pandemic’ (oh really!? Duh) 

Now it’s August and I receive yet 2 more letters/notifications (exactly the same as I received in February) that they are ‘reviewing’ my tax return.

So again I tried the same route for speaking with someone, only to be told that the ‘review’ begins on August 1st. So now, they technically have 60 days from August 1st to give me an answer.

Let me just say..... I know without a doubt there are NO mistakes on my return. I filed the exact same way as previous years and my information is as simple as it gets (hence why I file without any assistance other than TurboTax.) 

Lastly, I will tell you that my return is a pretty substantial amount and therefore I am wondering about everyone on this blog, if they too have larger returns being owed. 

Any insight, or validation is greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Joew4

I've been waiting 6 months now for my tax return. Filed the first week of February. If I call the transcript says I have a refund as of April 15. Unfortunately no one answers any calls in. The specific numbers they sent me are not answered per their message. When I call the 800 number it hangs up on me and says it has too many calls. I really feel like trump destroyed this country. First time you can't count on even government entities to do their basic job.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies