Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The IRS sent me a letter asking me to verify my Identity Why??

@Analexander7510 wrote:

I have recently filed my federal taxes and I'd received a letter telling me to identify myself. How can I identify myself online if I have no student loan,no credit card,no home equity? The IRS are close and aren't accepting calls at this time.

Follow the directions in the letter.  You might need to call the IRS when they re-open. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm having the exact same issue...was you ever able to figure out how to get your I'd verified?

@1975jsampson

No. I tried calling but no one is home. Not even at the taxadvocate number that came as the cover to the IRS 5017C. 

What I can't understand is why TurboTax didn't address the differences in current address and address shown on W2's. Whereas H & R Block software does. 

What also concerns me is the stipulation that you have to contact them within 30 days of the date of the letter. Hopefully the IRS doesn't have an automatic flag in place that flags accounts that didn't respond in 30 days creating a further delay.

Is that an issue for you having a different address then what was shown on the W2 or other documents?

What also concerns me is the 5017C states that they need

@Dougster2 wrote:

@1975jsampson

What I can't understand is why TurboTax didn't address the differences in current address and address shown on W2's. Whereas H & R Block software does. 

The address on the W-2 does not get entered into TurboTax and is often different than the address on the tax return.   Many people move and/or file tax returns from a different address than the address that the employer has for the W-2.   A different address does not necessary trigger an IRS identity check.   

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I recieved a 5071c form from irs and ive tried to create an account on irs.gov the identity verification. But it wont let me and also cant contact anyone on the phone due to covid 19. So i was wondering if i could do it by mail 

Kdubu34

Same situation..... I have been trying to create a irs account for 3weeks now but it continues saying info doesn't match.?! Besides for 2019 I haven't filed since 2013. I have tried everything, my thirty days will expire in a couple days and I can not reach anyone to do anything. 🤬

Omg!  Same, same, same!  I totally thought I was the only one with these issues!  My 30 days was up yesterday, called that Tax Assistance number a few times, left message with my situation & contact info. ..they say they will do their best to respond in 3 days, it's been like a week & half. I havent got my stimulus check and when check on website, it says not available at this time.  I check i.r.s. where's my return?  It says still being processed.  I dont know what to do so because I've filed all prior years & never had an issue, I've made an appointment  with H & R block tmrw, I will come and update you all after.  P.s. I believe it is an issue with address changes & also cannot make an online account cos no credit card or loans ever.  This is such bull.  Not acceptable, Turbo Tax.  Crooks

@TiniBoo 22 wrote:

Omg!  Same, same, same!  I totally thought I was the only one with these issues!  My 30 days was up yesterday, called that Tax Assistance number a few times, left message with my situation & contact info. ..they say they will do their best to respond in 3 days, it's been like a week & half. I havent got my stimulus check and when check on website, it says not available at this time.  I check i.r.s. where's my return?  It says still being processed.  I dont know what to do so because I've filed all prior years & never had an issue, I've made an appointment  with H & R block tmrw, I will come and update you all after.  P.s. I believe it is an issue with address changes & also cannot make an online account cos no credit card or loans ever.  This is such bull.  Not acceptable, Turbo Tax.  Crooks

TurboTax has NOTHING to do with the stimulus whatsoever - that is the IRS.

The stimulus will not happen until the 2019 return has been fully processed.  That is totally up to the IRS.   You are wasting your time (and money) going to H&R (or any one else) because once a return  has been accepted by the IRS nothing more can be done.

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
**********************************************************************************************

Each tax return is evaluated on it's own merits. There is no first-in-first-out. Two similar tax return submitted at the same time can have totally different processing times based on IRS criteria for examining tax returns that the IRS does not divulge.

Some returns will be held for ID verification or other verification. The IRS will send a letter if they require more information to process your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

I'm in the same boat. I filed through Credit Karma back in the beginning of March and two days later the IRS sent me the letter to verify that I was the one who filed. I live in Illinois but work in Missouri and I've been filing ever since I've started working, this is the first time they have ever sent me this. I thought it was weird when they didn't ask or offer to do the Missouri taxes. I'm already passed the 30 day period and haven't been able to verify because I don't have a credit card, student loan or home equity. I do have an auto loan account and talked to my banks branch manager today so I could get the number for the verification and the IRS said it did not match their records so now I don't have any way to verify. Not to mention a few days after receiving the letter the governor of Illinois shut everything down, including the Tax Assistance Centers.  Any advice? I'm thinking about going to H&R Block to see if they can help. I'm desperate people, the other person I'm living with was laid off due to the pandemic so I have to carry the load by myself on top of my insurance, car note, and both halves of the rent.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Try reaching out to your local Taxpayer Advocate Service office - these have not closed down, although some of their services are limited due to various IRS department shutdowns.  They are in the best potential position to help you, if anyone can.  You can find the one that serves your area here: Taxpayer Advocate Service.

@juancantwin

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay so I did FINALLY resolve this today.  I had called the Tax Assistance Services # numerous times & finally today they called me in the morning,  informing that the the 800 # (we are asked to called to verify if we cant verify on the i.r.s. site) is answering the phones again as they are back in offices as of today.  I thanked them & called the 800# and it said to call back later or tmrw due to high volumes so I called back until it allowed me to be placed on hold. (For an hour!) I was asked the usual info (social #, d.o.b., address (gave them the previous and one I used 4 2019 refund) but that still didn't verify my ID she said that I in fact needed a copy of my 2018 or 2017 they might even used 2016 but I think 2018 should be enough to answer the question that they ask and that determines whether they verify you and put your return through or they tell you to do something else in order to verify which was my case because I did not have 2018 2017 or 16 on me I had told her that I had been waiting for a copy of the transcripts to be mailed to me from the IRS that I requested online cuz I was unable to even look at my transcripts online.  The question that was asked to complete my verification was simple enough had I remembered but I didn't remember the company's name as I had several jobs I believe that year she asked me for my employer's name for 2017.  And I think that would have been enough to verify my ID but I didn't remember it and was nervous so she said that I would have to do something else to verify it which ended up being really easy I got it taken care of minutes later she told me that I had to Saxon my a copy of the 1040 for 2019 which is the latest one the 1040 is just pretty much the completed forms that whoever you did your taxes with sends you afterwards they emailed me mine and I downloaded it to a PDF and was able to download a fax machine app for Android (called Fax) it's free to download and they give u a 7 day trial that you just cancel before the 7th day and it does not charge you. So what I have to fax in all together was the 1040 for 2019, a copy (I snapped a picture thru the app) of my driver's license or ID has to be current and not to expired, and a proof of address ( also snapped a pic thru the app)  It was so easy and they walk you through everything.  It took minutes.  I am so relieved!  Only thing is, if you cant verify on the phone call, and have to fax in the info. Then it apparently takes up to 12 WEEKS to get yr refund! It ducks completely  but after going through this since April 27th when I filed through Turbo Tax, I was just relieved to be over it.  

Also, I too was so stressed because I had exceeded my 30 days since I had recieved the i.r.s. letter but she said it didnt matter.  So, that's what happened with me, I wish you all the luck verifying.  I had NEVER been through this before and it was scary and so nerve wracking.  Hopefully i at least now get my stimuolus check as my status on their website had been "Not available at this time."  Because my 2019 refund was in limbo until I verified.  What a nightmare.  But hope this puts you at ease.  Keep us informed if you can.  I found that it helps to know that you are not the only one going through this very unique and horrendous timing/ circumstances.   Maybe it can help others.  Good luck, ya'll!  

The Tax Assistance Services in Texas shut down, when the I.R.S. did too.  But like I said, they called me (from an out of state area code so if you call them and leave a message, answer random area code calls!!!  But you should be good to verify on phone now that they are open.  If not they will tell you what else to do.   They give you a chance to answer the question on the phone if you think you can but if you tell him that you want to answer the question and you're not able to then you have to fax it in whatever they ask you to fax in to verify it would have not taken 12 weeks she said (getting my refund) had I been able 2 answer right then and there.  So my suggestion would be that if you don't have your past 1040es or paperwork from 2018 to 2017 or 2016 Maybe just remember where you were employed although I don't know if they ask you how much was anyting for those years, before you say yes to answering the question,  she said that the question is generated by the computer & theres no by passing it.  Had I verified on that phone call, she said it would take up to 9 weeks to get my refund.  

My fault, I had filed Feb 27th. Not April 27th. 

lindag120

I received a letter from the IRS on 02/19/2020. The letter # is 4464C to verify my accuracy of my tax return. Its been over 60 days and I have not received my refund. Please can you help me in this matter. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, IRS offices are currently closed and there is little in the way of assistance for taxpayers experiencing delays in their refunds.

Reach out to the Taxpayer Advocate Service(TAS) office that serves your area to see if they may able to offer any assistance.  

You can find the office that serves you here:  Taxpayer Advocate Service

@lindag120

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies