turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax refund issue

Hi,

Because of covid, I couldn't apply for my wife's ITIN. I was finally able to do it on 09/24/2020. The IRS agent at the Federal building in Boston told me I didn't have to file Federal tax and it will get submitted along with ITIN application (which the IRS agent collected from us). My wife got the ITIN a few months back. However, I never got the federal tax refund. When I try to look it on the where's my refund, I get:"We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer"

Because of this, I can't even claim my stimulus. What should I do? 

Addendum: I filed state tax on my own and I already received the return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax refund issue

if the IRS does not show that the return was filed, then you need to send it again.  On the 2019 tax form you can now put your wife's ITIN in the social security number field.  You can print and mail the returns and include a letter letting the IRS know what happened.

You can file your 2020 tax return and use 0 for the 2019 AGI.  

Tax refund issue

Hi @MaryM428 ,

Thanks for replying. 

I talked with an IRS customer service agent and she told me that since my wife got the ITIN number, my tax form must be at the IRS office but due to covid, they might not have time to process it. She told me to wait for a month and call them again if my refund is not updated. Because of this delay, I will not get the stimulus check. However, I can file a form for that in my 2020 tax return, so that I can get it if I qualify. 

I do not know if I should just resend my federal tax form. I think I should wait for a month and then decide. I am not that sure if there is that much of a delay. Considering my form first went for ITIN and then it was transferred to the tax center, there can be such delay or after ITIN it was never sent to the tax center. 

Tax refund issue

The IRS is not beginning to process returns until February 12th, so waiting a little bit would really make no difference. I hope that helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies