turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drliu
Returning Member

Submitted a tax return as a non-resident alien and just realised TurboTax doesn't file for us.

Hi,

I just filed a tax return as a non-resident alien with TurboTax not knowing that TurboTax doesn't support tax returns for us. I just received an email saying it's been accepted. What can I expect now? Do I just leave it? Or do I wait for a response from the IRS requesting an amendment? Very confused as to what to do now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Submitted a tax return as a non-resident alien and just realised TurboTax doesn't file for us.

You should use TurboTax to file an amended return to cancel out your return, Please explain that you wrongly filed a resident alien return. And will now file a nonresident alien return.

To amend your return, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

You can then go to Sprintax.com to file a nonresident tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drliu
Returning Member

Just to clarify, I send an amendment just to cancel my current return so I can file a non-resident alien tax return (1040NR) with Sprintax?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  That is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies