turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambriacrain
Returning Member

stimulus plus amending taxes

On my original taxes i put that my mother couldn’t claim me, and then i went in and amended it and said that she could. i noticed today the money for the stimulus is pending in my checking account. if i use this money will i have i pay it back? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

At this point in time, the official word is that you will not be required to pay it back.

Stimulus bill details

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ambriacrain
Returning Member

so it’s safe to use the money? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

They say you won't have to pay it back. 

It is an advance of a credit for 2020 and (we are told) will be on the 2020 Tax Year return, but (we are told) if the taxpayer is not eligible for the full credit, they won't be required to pay it back. Only people that didn't get enough will get more on their return. 

nlofgren

My 2019 return was submitted and accepted.  Then the due day was changed from April to July, I never got a confirmation number from either Turbo Tax or the IRS so I could not change my payment date.  I chose to amend my return thinking that would change the withdrawal date of my taxes.  Well that did not happen either.  So today taxes were withdrawn from my account on supposedly a tax return that is being amended.  How do I find out what is going on.  Do I need to go ahead and sign my taxes and send them in now that my payment has been withdrawn?  The only reason I was amending my tax return was to extend the payment date.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No, do not send in an amendment.  Changing payment dates or methods is not a reason to amend a tax return.  It appears your tax bill has been paid; you are current with the IRS if the debit was for your entire tax owed on your return. 

If you qualify for and wish to get a stimulus payment and have it direct deposited here is a link to check on the status of that payment and add your banking information. 

Additionally, here is a link that discusses the qualifications for a stimulus payment.  

Katinahawkins1000
Returning Member

So if we used turbo card we have to wait for the check to come threw the mail?!!  If so this makes no sense at all. You mean to tell me my taxes can come to my turbo card, but not my stimulus check?!!! I need answers.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The IRS is preparing Websites to update information and check your filing status. 

Please read what it says on the right hand side where it says “Filers: Get Your Payment”

Get Your Payment Status

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies