turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check

When I did my taxes with Turbo, I filled with my husband, one of the questions asked was if I could be marked as a dependent, I marked yes, because I’m filling jointly with my husband. But our stimulus check hasn’t gotten here, and we’re wondering if it’s because it said you can be claim as a dependent? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stimulus check

that could be a problem.... but many Americans have not received their stimulus checks yet.  Might be worth waiting until your spouse receives it and then go from there 

Check the IRS website for status of the stimulus payment and update your bank information if necessary.

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.

View solution in original post

Stimulus check

@tgarci30  - it might not, that is why I suggested you wait and check the IRS website to see the status of the check. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Stimulus check

that could be a problem.... but many Americans have not received their stimulus checks yet.  Might be worth waiting until your spouse receives it and then go from there 

Check the IRS website for status of the stimulus payment and update your bank information if necessary.

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.

Stimulus check

Thanks, but we filled jointly, could that affect both of us? 

Stimulus check

@tgarci30  - it might not, that is why I suggested you wait and check the IRS website to see the status of the check. 

Stimulus check

Thank you. I understand, and I just checked the irs site and it says payment status not available. I’ve been seeing people who checked the same box wanting to file “an amendment “ I don’t know what that is, but should I find out and file one as well? 

Stimulus check

@tgarci30  is your 2019 tax return IN PROCESS? 

IRS FAQ: 

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

Stimulus check

No, it has been processed.  

pattigirl
Returning Member

Stimulus check

I want to know why I did not received a Stimulus check. I contact the gov. website received no response ??

Stimulus check

@pattigirl You are posting to a thread full of posts from other people--we know nothing at all about your situation.  We cannot see your tax returns, nor do we even know if you filed tax returns.

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

You can call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835 to get updates on your stimulus payment.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pattigirl
Returning Member

Stimulus check

Thank you for your response- Appreciated it. 

Stimulus check

Yea because I misunderstood the mark the box if you can claim a dependent and I called the irs and told them I didn’t know this was the first time I ever filed my own taxes and she was so rude to me and she told me that I am not eligible because of that 

Stimulus check

@Jennifer43noel If you made a mistake and said on your own return that you could be claimed as someone else's dependent that is why you did not get  a stimulus check.  If you fit the criteria to be someone's dependent then you cannot get a stimulus check even if they did not claim you on their tax return.  Sadly, it is too late this year to fix it.  But when you file your 2020 tax return next year in 2021, you can still get the stimulus money on that tax return if you have NOT been someone else's dependent in 2020.  If you are confused by anything the software asks you when you are working on your 2020 return, ask questions here in the forum BEFORE you file your tax return.  It is much easier to prevent mistakes than it is to fix them after you file an incorrect tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Stimulus check

When can I file my 2020 they said I can file my amended return for my stimulus payment 

Stimulus check

@Jennifer43noel No one will be filing a 2020 return until next year in 2021.  The 2020 software has not been released yet, and it will be late January before the IRS will begin to accept 2020 tax returns.   If someone suggested to you that amending your 2019 return now will result in a stimulus check--it will not work out.  Sorry.  This is almost mid-October.  It normally takes at least four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Due to the pandemic, the IRS is backlogged and it is taking much longer ---at least six months -- for them to process an amended return.  So you have a better chance of getting that stimulus money sooner on your 2020 tax return than you do by amending your 2019 return.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies