Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimlus

I owe!  Will I still get the $1200 stimulus payment? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stimlus

As long as you qualify, the stimulus money is not based on what you owe.  

The amount the check will be is be based on your 2019 tax return if it has been filed, or your 2018 tax return if you have not yet filed this year.

• Those filing income tax returns as “single” with adjusted gross incomes up to $75,000 a year will be eligible for a $1,200 check. The payment amount drops by $5 for every $100 in income above $75,000.
  • Those who file as “married filing jointly” can receive a check for $2,400 check if their adjusted gross income was below $150,000. Married couples will get checks on a sliding scale up to $198,000. Married couples will also receive $500 for each child they claimed on their tax return.
  • If you filed as “head of household” you are eligible for a $1,200 check and $500 for each child you claimed if your adjusted gross income was $112,500 or less. You can receive a check on a sliding scale if you earn up to $136,500 annually. Those who file “head of household” are typically single parents).
  • If you receive a Social Security check and do not exceed the income limits above, you are eligible to receive the coronavirus relief check.

If you receive a Social Security check and do not make enough money to require you to file a tax return, you will still receive a check as long as you received an SSA-1099 form. The form is sent annually and includes your Social Security benefits statement.

The check will be delivered to you via the usual way you get your Social Security payment. People who receive disability checks from Social Security are eligible for the special payment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Stimlus

Yes, if you are eligible.

Stimlus

As long as you qualify, the stimulus money is not based on what you owe.  

The amount the check will be is be based on your 2019 tax return if it has been filed, or your 2018 tax return if you have not yet filed this year.

• Those filing income tax returns as “single” with adjusted gross incomes up to $75,000 a year will be eligible for a $1,200 check. The payment amount drops by $5 for every $100 in income above $75,000.
  • Those who file as “married filing jointly” can receive a check for $2,400 check if their adjusted gross income was below $150,000. Married couples will get checks on a sliding scale up to $198,000. Married couples will also receive $500 for each child they claimed on their tax return.
  • If you filed as “head of household” you are eligible for a $1,200 check and $500 for each child you claimed if your adjusted gross income was $112,500 or less. You can receive a check on a sliding scale if you earn up to $136,500 annually. Those who file “head of household” are typically single parents).
  • If you receive a Social Security check and do not exceed the income limits above, you are eligible to receive the coronavirus relief check.

If you receive a Social Security check and do not make enough money to require you to file a tax return, you will still receive a check as long as you received an SSA-1099 form. The form is sent annually and includes your Social Security benefits statement.

The check will be delivered to you via the usual way you get your Social Security payment. People who receive disability checks from Social Security are eligible for the special payment.

Stimlus

Why when I got my stimulus check I only got 1200 when I never received my 500$ dependent my daughter was born in November 2018 ?? What can I do

Stimlus

@Adrycraft1997 wrote:

Why when I got my stimulus check I only got 1200 when I never received my 500$ dependent my daughter was born in November 2018 ?? What can I do

You will have to file for the child stimulus credit on your 2020 tax return that is filed next year.

Go to this IRS website for information (Question 32) - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A32. Payment amounts vary based on income, filing status and family size. If you filed a 2019 tax return, the IRS used information from it about you, your spouse, your income, filing status and qualifying children to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. If you haven’t filed your 2019 return or it has not been processed yet, the IRS used the information from your 2018 return to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. The IRS is not able to correct or issue additional payments at this time and will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action people may need to take in the future.

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child payments. We encourage everyone to review our “How do I calculate my EIP” question and answer (See question 23).

Keep the Notice 1444, Your Economic Impact Payment, you will receive regarding your Economic Stimulus Payment with your records. This notice will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within a few weeks after the Payment is made. When you file your 2020 tax return next year, you can refer to Notice 1444 and claim additional credits on your 2020 tax return if you are eligible for them. The IRS will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action they may need to take.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies