turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Second Stimulus Check -- Amended Return

Hello,

On my 2019 tax return, I made a mistake saying that I could be claimed as a dependent. I sent in my amended return in April, it processed in August, and I received my updated tax return check via mail in September. I did not receive the first stimulus check due to my error, I know that I can claim it on my 2020 return as I meet all eligibility requirements. My question is, will I be receiving the second stimulus check via direct deposit (since the IRS has that information on file) or mail? Or, will I have to wait to claim this check as a rebate on my 2020 return as well? I know many people that have already received the check and the delay for me has me wondering. The Get My Payment tool on the IRS website still says payment info not available and it has been like that since April, even after my amended return was processed.

Thanks for the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If you do not receive the second stimulus payment on or before January 15, 2021 and you are eligible it will be entered on your federal tax return, Form 1040 on Line 30.

The Form 1040 has not been finalized and needs to updated to include the 2nd Economic Impact Payment.

Ah, I see. Thank you. 

I didn't have to pay any fees for turbotax I think so would my return have still been sent to the temp account, which is closed, and then bounced back to the irs? I'm reading everywhere that this has been an issue

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure about the details of your situation, however, the following information may help:

1. If your refund was delivered to a prepaid Turbo® Visa® Debit Card and you no longer have it, we’ll
    help you get a replacement card at no cost.  Click on the link in the previous sentence.
  2. If you paid for TurboTax with your refund last year, we have given the IRS your correct account
    information and they are working to send your payment within days.

I'm not sure I had to pay anything because my return was pretty basic. Would my deposit still have been routed through an intermediate account if that was the case?

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, if you didn't have TurboTax fees that you paid with your income tax refund, this situation would not apply to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, if you didn't have TurboTax fees that you paid with your income tax refund, this situation would not apply to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there somewhere that I can see whether or not I had to? Thanks for all the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies