Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returns

I filed my 2020 and 2021 the same day separately and just received my 2020 return but not my 2021. Why could that be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Returns

IRS has been giving 100% priority to 2020 tax returns over 2021 tax returns.

@123456jjrr 

Returns

@fanfare - where did you read that?  From what I've read they process all returns in the order received......

Returns

@123456jjrr   - there is no telling; only the IRS would know.  I am assuming you paper filed?  Did you check the status of your account online? 

here is what you can do: 

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

Returns

If you paper filed both returns at the same time in separate envelopes then the 2020 return was simply processed first for any number of reasons.  Maybe the department processing the 2020 return was faster than the department that handles the 2021 returns.  Or the 2021 return had to go thru some kind of manual checking.   There is nothing you can do but wait patiently and check the IRS once a week for an update and don't count on the refund coming anytime soon as paper returns are taking 6 months to a year to process.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies