turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected due to duplicate 1099R that have historically been accepted

I e-filed and received a rejection due to duplicate 1099Rs.  My wife and I each receive a 1099R for an annual distribution from two Guideposts annuities.  While the Gross Distribution amounts (Box 1) are the same, the Taxable Amounts are different on each 1099R, as are the Recipient's info of course.  We have been receiving these for 40 years, and filing exactly as printed on the 1099R without a glitch. 

Is this an IRS issue (after 40 years?)?  A TurboTax issue?

How to remedy?  [Note: is manually changing the Boxes 1 and 2 amounts of one Form really appropriate?]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think it's a TTX glitch..

But, supposedly changing the gross distribution on one up...by 0.01 (one cent) and the other down by 1 cent works.

Only don't do that if the original was ending in 49 cents (not yet rounded up), or 50 cents (not yet rounded down) since that would change the actual value by $1  when it ends up getting rounded.  IF that is the case, perhaps only changing the one (up or down) that doesn't cross the 0.49-0.50 barrier, might work.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I think it's a TTX glitch..

But, supposedly changing the gross distribution on one up...by 0.01 (one cent) and the other down by 1 cent works.

Only don't do that if the original was ending in 49 cents (not yet rounded up), or 50 cents (not yet rounded down) since that would change the actual value by $1  when it ends up getting rounded.  IF that is the case, perhaps only changing the one (up or down) that doesn't cross the 0.49-0.50 barrier, might work.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks... while I really don't like manually changing form data like that, your suggestion of staying clear of rounding makes sense since the IRS really doesn't look at any significant digits to the right of the decimal point (after rounding).

I assume that besides changing the Gross Distribution (Box 1), I should also change the amount of Taxable amount (Box 2a) since the sum of Box 2a and Box 5 equals the total of Box 1.

Do I really need to change both my Form 1099R and my wife's 1099R?  Changing mine to $50.01 and leaving hers at $50.00 should work, should it not?

Yeah, I suspect the other boxes might need changing to match, as appropriate.....especially if box 5 comes into play such that it affects box 2a.   Box 5 wouldn't be changed though, only 2a.

Don't really know about changing just one 1099-R.....I've not dealt with it myself....only reporting what other experienced helpers in this forum have suggested doing.

Give it a try.   IF that goes thru, you're done.

Made the change... to both accounts; one up $0.01, one down.  Consequently adjusted Box 2A so that sum of 2A and 5 = Total.

Re-submitted this a.m.  Fifty minutes later received acceptance email.  

Don't like that after all these years I had to do that to get past TurboTax's screener?  IRS?  But net-net no change in anything and all is good.  Thanks for help!!

bvitter

I am having the same problem this year and no indication which 1099Rs they think are duplicate

I have reported the same 1099Rs for several years without an error - must be a new IRS screening

I am REALLY disappointed in TurboTax that that do not check for this if it is an IRS check

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies