turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refund processing & stimulus check

Hello!

My federal and state tax returns were accepted on 3/27, and my state return was offset. Also, my direct deposit information has changed from last year, so the account that I got my return in last year does not exist anymore.

Will I get a stimulus check with everyone else (into the correct bank account given in my 2019 return) if my federal return is still processing? Just curious, there don't seem to be very many answers for my specific situation. 

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Will I get my stimulus as a direct deposit or as a paper check?

Here's how it works:

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return with the IRS, and at least one of those returns had a refund which was direct-deposited, the IRS will deposit your stimulus payment into that account (if it's closed, you'll get a check instead.)

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return and neither one had a refund coming, the IRS will mail you a stimulus check. The same holds true if these returns had a refund which was sent as a check.

In other words, if you requested a direct-deposited refund on at least one return in the past two years – 2018 or 2019 – your stimulus will be direct-deposited into that account (assuming it's still valid), and if not, you'll get a check. This cannot be changed.

So, to clarify, I will get it by direct deposit into the bank account listed on my 2019 return even if it is still processing?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You are correct that there are not many answers to specific situations.  

Here is what the IRS has said:

For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount.

For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment.

The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed.

The IRS has also said that they plan to issue the stimulus checks to people who have filed 2019 returns first.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So it doesn’t matter that the 2019 return on file is still processing?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, it shouldn't. The IRS has said that if you have not yet filed, you should do so as soon as possible in order to get the stimulus check. 

Therefore it makes sense that as long as your return has been accepted, they have access to your banking information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Awesome. I appreciate you all for the help! I have all of the information that I need now. Thank you. 

I really don’t think that is the case. Here’s my situation. I’m married with 2 dependent children. In 2018 my wife and I opted to file married, but separately due to personal reasons. She claimed the children. I didn’t file because I still had an unresolved 2017 return that has since been issued payment. In February, I filed our 2019 tax return Married filing jointly with our two dependents. I used turbo tax and opted for the money to be deposited on the card. This morning I checked our Bank of America acct. that my wife used for her return in ‘18 and there was a deposit from the IRS for $2200; $1200 for my wife and $1000 for the children. I tried the non filers option a little while ago to at least get the ball rolling and it says my return is currently processing, so I cannot go that route either. The other tool that was released in the IRS website didn’t give me any info either. Do you think I’ll receive a check? I got locked out  of the IRS site for 24 hours because I tried more than 3 times to no avail. Any comments?

I checked the new portal that they put up, and it was sent to the account on file from 2018 (which is closed) instead of the account I put on my 2019 return. There’s also no option to change it or fix it, and you can’t call the IRS. 
What do I even do about that?

Yeah, it’s BS. If you filed a 2019 tax return and it’s still processing, there is nothing else you can do but wait for a paper check. I don’t even know why they’ve been telling that to us the whole time. I’m a prime example. My return for 2019 has been processing since FEBRUARY. Why would they use the 2018 return when the IRS was only waiting on ONE measly health insurance paper that I sent in a month ago and doesn’t effect my AGI. 

That is the definition of absurd. I get the fact that they're tackling a pandemic but I mean, personally i filed a very simple return, so it should have been approved by now!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies