turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refund "processing" for over three months

What can I do? My return was accepted and has been "being processed" with no date for more than three months now. All filings have been electronic via Turbo Tax. I tried to call the IRS and cannot even get put on hold! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@xmasbaby0 Thank you for this response. I just looked and yes, I did have that line filled out, so you may have answered my question! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The IRS was already behind with about 16 million 2019 returns before tax season ended for 2020.  They are working on returns as quickly as possible, but many are taking months.   If there was anything on your return that required a human to look at it, then it is probably part of the pile on someone's desk.

Since it is processing, you know it has been received.  All you can do now is wait.  If the IRS needs to get any more information from you, they will contact you.

Millions of people are waiting for the severely backlogged IRS to process their tax returns and send their refunds.   You are not the only one.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So this is what concerns me "We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors."

So this is saying my return has errors. I cannot figure out why that would be. This note makes me more concerned. So millions of people are waiting ... so millions of people filed erroneous tax returns? Just doesn't make sense. I would feel better if they just said they were backlogged ... but they say they have issued all the error-free returns. Is it a backlog or is it that I filled a return that has errors? 

@chughesbabb If your Form 1040 has an amount on line 30 for the recovery rebate it has to be reviewed by a human.   So many people made mistakes with that credit that every return with anything on line 30 has to be looked at.   Do you have anything on line 30?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 Thank you for this response. I just looked and yes, I did have that line filled out, so you may have answered my question! 

@chughesbabb Having an amount on line 30 does not necessarily mean you have a mistake---it just means they will cross check and see how much you received for stimulus payments.   If they think you received more than your line 30 shows you should be getting, then they adjust your refund.   If line 30 is okay then you get the refund shown on the return.    It is just taking them so long.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies