Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andrewgoodrich4
Returning Member

Question about how I filed regarding covid-19 stimulus check

So, I filed my taxes for 2019 and got my return back in February. The question I have now is whether or not I will get the stimulus check. On my return, I put that I could be claimed as a dependent and that I WOULD be claimed as a dependent, but my mother did not, and has not, claimed me on her return for the last two years. Would the IRS see me as a dependent, even thought I was not claimed or do I need to amend my return? For reference, I am not a full time student and my income was above $10k last year, using the majority of my income to support myself. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Before amending your return, you must be certain that you would not qualify as a dependent on another return based on all the facts and circumstances (whether or not you are actually being claimed).  Making a change in the return that you already filed stating it was true and correct simply to receive a stimulus payment can be construed as fraud.  Be cautious.  (Full time student means you were enrolled at least 5 months of the year in school; it is not based on your course load).

Who can I claim as my dependent?

@andrewgoodrich4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
andrewgoodrich4
Returning Member

Thank you for your response!

So for me, I am 21 years old and I lived on my own for about 9 months in 2019 and still do in 2020. I did support myself more than my parents had helped me. I was a part-time student, but worked far more than that and on my return said that I was not a full time student. I have amended it to say that I cannot be claimed and that I will not be claimed. Is there any issue with that being fraudulent? To reiterate completely, I currently live with only my brother (20 y/o), I’m currently not a full time student (will be in Fall 2020), and I was not claimed on my mothers tax return. 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

No, if you provided more than 1/2 of your own support, you can't be claimed as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies