Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grasstriper
Returning Member

only received half of my stimulus

Why did I only receive half of my stimulus?  I need answers 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

So this was supposed to be fixed so why did I too only received half ($900.00) of my total ($1800.00) stimulus payment. What is going on? Please respond with an answer. 

Im eligible for 2400 but i only recieved 1200. Why?

Hello, 

For more information regarding why you received only half of your stimulus, please click on this link:https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

Hope this helps! 

No that’s not it at all! I don't have any back obligations. My wife just noticed that even though my wife and I filed jointly using turbo tax apparently the IRS mailed her a separate check for the other half amount. So have your family members check their status status at the IRS payment website. You may have the same situation. 

No sir you are wrong, and quoted an article that has nothing to do with the second stimulus check.

Here is the direct link to this information directly from the IRS Website.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

Receiving My Payment

No. Your second payment will not be offset for any Federal or state debts and is protected from garnishment.

No. Your second payment will not be offset for any Federal or state debts and is protected from garnishment.

That's wrong. I checked the irs website. So why did i only get half of my stimulus? I know i qualify. It says I do on the irs website. Did you guys keep half for some reason? 

I only received half of my 2nd stimulus check as well. I hope this is getting resolved soon

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

Thank you i appreciate the information! At least i know ill have some money comin back 

In the same boat as everyone else. Funny government screes this up. Turbo tax gets the money and then in turn only gives its users half exactly of what we should have gotten. Wonder how much free interest they are making.

Exactly, according to every IRS resource available, it shows exactly what you should be receiving, and yet Turbo Tax is only paying out half of what you should be receiving, and pretty much just saying oh just wait till you get your taxes.  As someone who doesn't get their taxes back till almost June I call bullsheet.

Ok so I did a little bit more research. My wife's stimulus is getting mailed. I found that out by having her go check the irs page and her typing her info in to check the status of the stimulus. So hopefully it will be the other 1200 we are supposed to be getting. I suggest checking both spouses info on the irs pg. Not sure why they are doing so different than the 1st time. It also creates different issues if you got a debit card from them. Go check the irs pg and read the FAQ section. I hope this helps. 

I’m sorry that was not what happened in your situation. When my spouse put their information in the IRS website it showed the other half of my payment was mailed to them in the form of a check. So I got half a payment from Turbo Tax and they got the other being sent by check. I have no idea why it happened that way because we filed jointly using turbo tax and the last stimulus was all paid at one time in form of direct deposit with no issues. 

Yes, but people are failing to explain that IF that does happen if you owe somehow that “other half” of your stimulus could be taking fully or used to pay that obligation. That was actually told to me by IRS as well as TT yesterday so as others got their Full stimulus if we end up owing (no telling because of how 2020 was) our money we have hope on getting (the other half) is gone. Unlike others that automatically got their stimulus with no issues. Now we suffer. So it’s a toss up.. either you don’t owe and you get your other half on top of your refund or they use it as a tax credit and it is used to pay an obligation and that’s not right! The guy I spoke to from TT yesterday told me that that’s why they were trying to rush the money in everyone’s accounts because they knew somehow people would run into this problem (not receiving all their 2nd stimulus or none at all) and would be upset when they found out that now that stimulus will be used as a tax credit.. that’s what need to be explained.. the rest of the money is a credit and NOT guaranteed funds on top of your refund.. you could or could not get it depending on if you owe or not.. that’s the way IRS/TT explained it  to me... because I’m missing half as well. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies