Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I didn't receive my full federal refund

TT does not have the authority to intervene on your behalf with the IRS.  But see this recent IRS posting which might possibly explain why the IRS adjusted your refund:

Letters about third-round of Economic Impact Payments issued; important steps to take for missing pa...

I put my trust in TurboTax to assist me with filing my return. Your system accepted everything. Assured me of my projected return and accepted my route of payment. I need assistance with what I did wrong to receive significantly less. There is not even a "live" option

t haya2008
Returning Member

@Mannyvasquez 

Horray!!!! Manny is having a baby. Great Job man. Do you know what this means? Starting Next Year, you are going to get EXTRA $1000 dollar added to your TAX REFUND... Remember Earned Child Credit. Yep... Now, if you have a second child, Earned Child Credit will be $2000... Catch me lol... So, go have more babies.... LMAO!!!

As far as this year tax refund, I am shorted too by $700. This never happened to me before, but then we are living in a different time. Remember, pandemic never gone away. Besides, I wouldn't bad mouth or yell at our Gobermint or the IRS for this, because remember President helped us all with FREE MONEY during shutdown extending unemployment compensation and even sending more FREE MONEY in the form of RELIEF. My guess is that our selfless gobermint is trying to catch up by taking few dollars here and there from our tax refunds. I am sure they need money for other things or programs... We should be happy that they even sent us something instead of nothing.

However, if you still need explaination, here is a link... https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-refunds/why-is-my-tax-refund-not-what-i-expected-49240/

Thank you for all the HELP, Uncle Sam.

R-Wayne

The suggested causes are definitely not what is going on with my case. Turbo tax forms showed a $2,800 federal refund. Nearly 10 months after filing I got a check from the IRS, not a direct deposit as it was supposed to be. The check was for a little over $1,600, with the check was a letter saying my taxes had been recalculated. There was no further explanation and no revised forms attached. When I called to talk to the IRS, I got the run-around & no good explanation.

Now the state (Iowa) wants to tax me on the full amount shown on their form.

@ R-Wayne  wrote:

The suggested causes are definitely not what is going on with my case. Turbo tax forms showed a $2,800 federal refund. Nearly 10 months after filing I got a check from the IRS, not a direct deposit as it was supposed to be. The check was for a little over $1,600, with the check was a letter saying my taxes had been recalculated. There was no further explanation and no revised forms attached. When I called to talk to the IRS, I got the run-around & no good explanation.

Now the state (Iowa) wants to tax me on the full amount shown on their form.

EDITED 4/03/2022 at 2:20 PM Pacific

"nearly 10 months after filing"

OH... sounds like this is a 2020 return.   I didn't catch that "10 months" at first.   Most people are currently posting about their current 2021 returns, and that slipped by me.   I edited a couple of original sentences about an EIP3 payment, since that is for 2021 returns, and that the WMR tool will no longer have info on a 2020 return if you have already filed your 2021 return.   In any case, you may have been emailed the original answer, so sorry if there was any confusion.  Otherwise, see if any of the info below helps you.

If you don't get a suggestion in this user forum, you can phone the free TurboTax Audit Support Center for help with the Iowa state letter.  If that first letter from the IRS containing the check had no explanation, then I suppose it's possible that you "might" receive another letter from the IRS eventually explaining more about why they reduced your refund, but who knows.   Often a reduction like that is related to claimed EIP stimulus payments that the IRS thinks they had already paid, or a problem with child tax credits, EITC, etc.  A letter of explanation usually also includes info about what to do if you disagree with their decision.  Maybe one will come in 2-3 weeks, but who knows.

Is there any clue at the IRS WMR tool when you look up your info using the original refund info?

EDITED:   The WMR tool won't apply to a 2020 return if you already filed a 2021 return.

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

If you purchased Audit Defense, that company can help you deal with IRS/state letters.  If you did not purchase Audit Defense, you can still get help with your IRS or state letter from TurboTax free Audit Support Center.   To get the phone number for free assistance, go to the link below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Sam11629

My total tax refund was 4225$ but only received $2825 on my credit Karma, I am missing $1400

@Sam11629 Exactly$1400?

LOTS of people have made mistakes this year with the recovery rebate credit by "forgetting" that they received the $1400 per person stimulus checks last year.  They answered no to the questions for the  recovery recovery rebate credit and put the $1400 per person on line 30 of their returns.  But you cannot get it twice, so the IRS removes it when it is there by mistake.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400 on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Sam11629 wrote:

My total tax refund was 4225$ but only received $2825 on my credit Karma, I am missing $1400

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If your refund is short $1,400 then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

I received my state refund no problem.  I did use some extra services from TurboTax which they would take out of my federal refund.  However, I ultimately didn't recieve a single penny of my rederal.

I understand it shouldn't be the full 1,541, but I KNOW it should be more than ZERO

@BenBranJam wrote:

I received my state refund no problem.  I did use some extra services from TurboTax which they would take out of my federal refund.  However, I ultimately didn't receive a single penny of my Federal.
I understand it shouldn't be the full 1,541, but I KNOW it should be more than ZERO

What is displayed at the IRS "Where's My Refund" website?  Does it show that the IRS has finished processing the return, and if so, does it show the amount of your refund they approved and sent, or is there any message if they reduced it?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Here's something else to check:

When you choose to pay the fees out of the Federal refund, there is yet an additional bank in the chain of events.   With that pay-out-of-refund method, the IRS sends a refund to an intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted.   Then that intermediary bank sends the rest of the refund to your bank account (or card.)   In addition, there is an additional 39.99 service fee for that service (44.99 for California residents.)  The third-party company that manages that fee payment process is SBTPG (aka TPG or Tax Products Group).

If the IRS has finished processing your return and has sent a refund, you can log into SBTPG's refund lookup tool for information about your refund that they received from the IRS.  To do so, choose the "For taxpayers" portal at:
https://www.sbtpg.com/

SBTPG also has a phone contact page at the following link. It also shows their business hours.  Even when they are closed, you may be able to get automated info, or you can log in as above.

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information

It's says I am due an additional refund due to me paying more than initially enter as a mistake. When will that money be released to me?

cvette200227
Returning Member

The IRS taken money from my SS check and 2018/2019 for some they say were not filed and 2014 but they would not tell me what i did not file they only say they had info that no one have but the IRS and now they taking my 2021 refund .

RobertoSh

Me and my girlfriend didn’t get our full refund’s either. I don’t think a small mistake deserves to take half of your refund. My girlfriend was supposed to get 6000 and she didn’t.

either turbo tax is doing something not trustful or the irs needs to give us all a lot of explanations.

one thing is for sure, im not using turbo tax again.

RobertoSh

So, you are trying to say that a data entry mistake is worth to be taken half or most of our refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies