turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mstuckson

Can I fax in my amended tax return? If so, what is the fax number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

No you cannot fax an amended return.  Amended returns must be printed, signed and mailed after you prepare your Form 1040X.

It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That's not true. I received a message that I was missing my 8962/1095 form. I amended it and faxed it to the IRS as instructed by the IRS. 

You had a different situation.  The IRS asked you to amend and gave you a fax number.

The letter that was sent said I could mail or fax. I called the IRS, the lady said that I needed to amend my tax returns. I am just going by what she said and reading other people's that responded the same as me.

@pinky_baby36 The IRS specifically requested certain information from you and gave you a fax number to use for it.  That is not the normal way that "anyone" can file an amended return--- so to keep the record straight here for other users who might read this-----an amended return is prepared on a Form 1040X.  As of late August 2020 the IRS will  allow e-filing for 2019 returns that have been amended.  Any other year that is amended still must be printed, signed and mailed.  Unless you are given special permission and a fax number by the IRS you cannot fax stuff to the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It wasn't special permission. It's on the generic letters sent to everyone who didn't get the 8962 for through TT. You don't need to resend the 1040. They just want you to add the 8962/1095. 

Right the IRS wanted you to fax the info.  Not that anyone can fax the amended return or the 1040.

@pinky_baby36 Not sure why you want to make an issue of this with us.  The thread began with someone who wanted to know if they could fax an amended return.  The answer given at the time was correct.  A true "amended" return is prepared on a special form and until late August 2020 the only way to submit it to the IRS was by mail.  Now you have a choice of e-file or mail for a 2019 Form 1040X.  If you did not prepare a Form 1040X you did not really "amend"-- you just provided some additional information to the IRS at their request.

Other users read these threads so we want the information they read to be accurate.  Telling everyone they can fax amended returns is not helpful to the general group of users.

And faxing is not the same as Efiling.  You were responding to the IRS,

To the person who asked if they can fax an amended return, I say call the IRS. My friends and family all use Turbo Tax. This year they did not offer the 8962. I efiled my return. When something is missing, you have to add it. That's amending. It did not say the specifics of this question. I answered by what I know about my return, my friend's returns, and my family.  So things have changed since COVID. I was also able to fax my last year's 8962 forms because I missed something. My answer is also correct. You are assuming you know my situation. You assumed they gave me permission, You didn't know if I spoke in person, or it came in a letter or how. I had to tell you. So to the person who asked, do more research on a different site to see what I am saying is true, and also call IRS, they will tell you the facts.

I  know it's not the same, there you go assuming again! That's not what happened.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies