Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need Help With TurboTax 2020 Amended Return Glitch

I need to amend my 2020 tax return.  When I go into TurboTax 2020, I select the return I wanted to amend.  Once I get to the screen where I can actually start making changes, it immediately says I owe $374. 

The screen should say $0 for federal and $0 for state.  That is the expected behavior.

Upon further investigation, the problem is caused by a 1099-R, that was  part of the original submitted return.  Again, I made absolutely no changes in the amended return and it immediately says I owe tax.

1. Is being double taxed for a 1099-R, when doing an amended return, normal behavior?
  2. If not, are there any work-arounds for this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Keep going.

The refund meter is not really important. What counts is what is on the 1040-X.

you won't be double taxed or otherwise adjusted by IRS if you review your 1040-X carefully before you send it in.

The final 1040X has me paying 374 more tax than I am supposed to.  I have no idea how to fix this in turbotax. 

How can I report this glitch to Turbotax.

At this point, you have to discover what form or schedule is different from what you originally filed, causing a difference of $374.

Then you go in and correct the discrepancy to remove that $374.

You have to compare forms and schedules anyway to attach the required forms to 1040-X when mailing.

The rule is, don't start AMEND unless the tax return you're working on is identical to what you filed.

Sorry, should have mentioned this in the first response.

Note: I've found that if you try to unwind/cancel  an amendment and start over, TurboTax gets confused and it never recovers from that to permit a correct 1040-X.

This also happened to me.  I hit the Amend button, suddenly a 1040X is created showing the Net change column with a + $100,000.  Funny thing is that  the A column and B column added together in column C matches up with the original filed return data !

We will work on getting the return back to the original data before any corrections.

It looks like the tax due section on the 1040X also needs some work; eventually I got the the amount due windows back to zero, to what they were on filing.

@Louie G   Why did you hit the Amend button?  Was your original first return Accepted and you need to change it?  You should not amend until the first return is fully processed and you got the first refund.

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

The amended return assumes you got the first refund or paid the tax due.  Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Do you need to undo the amended return?  How to delete an Amended return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbota...

In the Desktop program all you have to do is go to Forms mode and delete the 1040X.  Then take the changes out.

In my case, the numbers from a K-1 were not entered into the 2020 return, so I have been waiting until this week to begin the amended return. 

BTW, the return was mailed to IRS on Oct 12, 2021; just this week showed up as processed.

On the 1040X form, the amounts of the extension payment (Line 16) did not fill into the form - even though it shows up on all the linked pages for that amount.  Had to override to fill that box and get numbers to zero, before I even start with the extra data.

Any thoughts on that ?

fingers crossed !!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies