turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmcx14

My West Virginia state tax is still on the ready to mail status. Its been more than 10 weeks since I processed my refund and still don’t get it. And now im back home since Im a J1 visa holder.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My West Virginia state tax is still on the ready to mail status. Its been more than 10 weeks since I processed my refund and still don’t get it. And now im back home since Im a J1 visa holder.

"Ready to mail" means you intended to file the return by mail.    TurboTax does not mail it for you.   When one chooses to file by mail, you have to print, sign, and mail.   Did you actually print, sign, and mail it?   If you did actually mail it, we can tell you how to check on the status of a West Virginia state refund.     Even if you DID mail it, your account will still always say "ready to mail", since it won't know if you mailed it or not.

@jmcx14 

If you haven't actually filed it, then hold off for now until something else is cleared up first, since it could require you to change both your Federal and state returns.

Something else you said caught my eye that needs to be explained.  You wrote:   " And now im back home since Im a J1 visa holder."

Did you use TurboTax to prepare your Federal return?   TurboTax can only prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."    It cannot prepare a Form 1040NR for non-resident aliens.    What is your citizenship status?   What country were you from?    How long were you in the USA (what dates)?

Once you provide that info, I can ask someone familiar with international filing to assist you.

jmcx14

My bad that I misinterpret the “ready to mail” I was expecting that it will mail it to me. Now I understand that I have to print and sign and send it to the West Virginia Tax Department before April 15,2019 (which is my last day of my visa to be expired) and I failed to do it. My apology, I was confused and my first time to do my tax by myself. Is there any chance that I can still get my refund though Im back now in my country? Thank you.

jmcx14 wrote:
 I was confused and my first time to do my tax by myself. Is there any chance that I can still get my refund though Im back now in my country? Thank you.

I'm a fellow user, not a tax expert, and not familiar with West Virginia.      It's not too late to file and apply for a 2018 state refund.  While the normal filing deadline has passed, one can still file a state return; it will just be late.  There's usually no penalty for a late return if one is getting a refund, but I don't know anything specific about West Virginia's policy, but I doubt if there would be a penalty, but I don't know.

You might be able to go back and efile it instead of mailing.   However, did you read my other comments above?   There's something else you need to figure out first before you file it.

You didn't answer the questions I asked about your citizenship status and length of time in the USA to try to determine if you correctly prepared your Federal and state returns, or if you filed the wrong kind of US tax return.   So I'll ask them again:

You haven't mentioned anything about the Federal return.   I assume you used TurboTax to also prepare and file the Federal return.  TurboTax can only prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."  It cannot prepare a Form 1040NR for non-resident aliens. What is your citizenship status?  You said you were here on a J1 visa.   What country were you from?   When did you first come to USA and how long were you in the USA?

Once you answer all that, I can ask someone familiar with international filing to further advise you and help you determine if you filed the correct type of Federal return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies