Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My return was rejected due to data on 8915-F. TurboTax wont let me remove FEMA # entry on line C in order to refile

I was able to do that for my federal return but my state tax is getting rejected still. Federal return was accepted. This is what TurboTax e-mailed me after my state return was rejected: 

State Tax 8915F - We are working on a product update related to potential state tax impact of federal Form 8915-F. This update is scheduled to be available on March 17. On or after that date, review the return and re-transmit it.

3cch

My return was rejected due to data on 8915-F. TurboTax wont let me remove FEMA # entry on line C in order to refile

OMG, thank you!! I hate TurboTax for issues such as this one.  You should be able to make changes if you paid already!! Crazy, isn't it.  You saved me time and aggravation, thank you so much for sharing.

Follow the directions on unclicking the COVID box and picking Alabama and then going back! This made it work for me!

Did you enter a 1/3 of your 1099 R from your Covid Retirement Withdrawal from 2020 ? I had to do this last year. Also, how are you opening the forms from your rejected return on Turbo Tax ?I have literally no option to open the forms to edit from there. Turbo Tax has told me my return has to be accepted before I can open them. I do not have the form option in on the right top corner on Turbo Tax or anywhere else on my Turbo Tax account. My return has been rejected twice and so far it no one at Turbo Tax has been able to help. I'm getting the same rejection code as most people on this thread is getting. I can get into my tax return and change things there but Line C nor D is nowhere to be found. 

Reject Code /Return/ReturnData/IRS8915F/FEMADisasterDeclarationNum

No I didn't have to enter a 1/3 of my income it generated on it own. If your return is rejected you should be able to go into it to fix it. Turbo tax sends you email that it was rejected you can click the link to go into it. Unless you submitted it again and it's still pending. You will see that form after you go back to file again and go though your signature for the return. Then before you file you will see your tax return for review that review will allow you to see if your 8915-F form is fixed before filing again. Line C and D are on the 8915-F form. As you go through your return that number will appear on upper left. Line C and D are almost mid way into the document but short. Hope this helps. 

3cch

Yes, 1/3 per year.  Last year had to wait to for TurboTax to fix their glitch.  

I did not go to Forms, I read that after I fixed it per Sharleen Price. I just didn't keep checking to see if it worked until I was done.  It worked!!

She wrote:

Uncheck the box that ask "If this was a coronavirus related distribution check here" and click continue.

On the next page it asks which disaster are you referring to, I chose a random one (I think the first one was an alabama one) I went to file so I can check the pdf preview and it no longer showed "coronavirus" on line C and instead it showed the Alabama FEMA number. I then went back to the retirement section and went back to where it asked me to specify which disaster I'm referring to and instead of the Alabama, I chose the blank entry at the top. I then went to file to check the pdf and I confirmed that Line C was now blank. THEN I went back to the retirement section a 3rd time, and this time I checked the box that says "If this was a coronavirus related distribution check here". After that I went straight to the file section (I did not just click continue in the income section because they ask you more question about the retirement stuff, I just skipped that and went straight to the file section) and now on the PDF preview, line C is blank and line D is check marked. I just resubmitted it, hope they accept it this time, I can update here if it was successful but it looks fixed to me!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Get out of the review section and edit the 1099-R in TurboTax.  Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.   @lburleson1973 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did try entering it manually with an agent assistance , but if you enter it manually it adds 2/3 of the amount to your income . So I undid all that and worked with a different agent. This time they had me unchecked the 2020 disaster program and select the first entry which was Alabama then go thru everything, then go back into 401k and deselect Alabama and select blank then go back thru it and check 2020 disaster. Hoping it work this time , but we'll see

ivercj

@DawnC I tried fixing my return both ways in the online version and neither worked. I shared my computer screen with a TurboTax person so they could see what was going on and the answer I got was "oh well sorry, it doesn't work you have to send your return through the mail". This makes me angry that it's literally one word on a form tripping up the return. I've never had a tax return rejected in my life.

@ivercj 

solution posted elsewhere:

You have to delete the 2020 Qualified Distribution Worksheet. Then go back through income and revisit the retirement section.

Ggq

I used your recommended fix and it worked!  Thank you

This worked! TY

You have to go through and fill out the 401k section under w different reason than the disaster relief , then go back all the way through and change it back to 2020 disaster relief inorder to clear out the code for section C. There's a bug in their system and this is the work around. I went through several chats with agents until someone finally knew what to do.Hope it helps!

yogintx79

I don't see the menu on the top left or right that gives you option to open forms.  Are you using the upgraded version?  I just have the cheapest version.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I can’t tell which version of TurboTax you’re using, but try clicking the Take me to my return or Pick up where you left off button in one of the input categories in the middle of the screen. 

This should populate the left pane, which has the Tax Tools dropdown.  From there, you can follow the instructions cited above.

@yogintx79 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies