turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return was received by the irs it's been 30 days and when I called the irs they said my return had errors but was not rejected. Should I amend?

My return was received by the irs on 2/13 it's been 30  days. It was my w2, unemployment benifit paper, and I claimed one new child dependent and one adult dependent. I had the earned income credit as well as the child tax credit. . I did the turbotax one you pay for and they guide you through everything. Plus I also called turbotax and had an agent on the phone and shared my screen with her as I filed my taxes. I dont feel there should of been any errors. When I called the irs they said my return had errors, but was not rejected. I asked what I should do and the lady said to just keep checking the where's my refund tool. It just says that my refund is still being processed. I haven't gotten any letters or anything from the irs but Should I amend? Or what should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My return was received by the irs it's been 30 days and when I called the irs they said my return had errors but was not rejected. Should I amend?

No, you should not amend. All you can do is wait for a letter from the IRS for an explanation. 

The IRS may be working with returns that claimed unemployment since that will now be adjusted. 

There was a change to make the first 10,200 tax-free. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What exactly would be in the letter? Will it say specifically what to do moving forward?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

At this point, it is impossible to know exactly what will be in the letter - that will depend on what errors the IRS is reviewing and their findings.

Yes, if the IRS sends you a letter, they will tell you what action is required on your part. Often, they will request additional information. They may also tell you their review did not result in any change to your return. 

If the error is obvious (e.g. you forgot to report a W-2 or 1099), they will propose an increase in your taxes to cover the unreported income. 

Yes, I understand that. I know for sure I did not miss any forms. I only worked one place, and recieved unemployment. That's why I dont understand why there would of been an error. I still have yet to receive a letter, etc. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies