turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my refund seems too high

first time doing taxes so I'm a bit confused. so i only made around 5k this year and when i did my taxes i qualified for a stimulus and i did use a dependent on my return and TurboTax says my total tax refund is 6,710 which seems absurdly high for me and I'm worried something might have messed up (I did have a w-2 from work which TurboTax got my info from)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

my refund seems too high

Better check that W2.  Check the amounts in box 1 & 2 and watch out for the decimal point in the right place.  Sometimes they import wrong.  

Click on Wages and Income tab at the top
Then your W2 should be listed at the top. Click on Edit, Review or Revisit

And check line 30 for the Stimulus.  Did you get any of the first 2 Stimulus checks?  If you are Single with a dependent under 17 you should get 1700 (1200+500) for the first one and 1200 (600+600) for the second one for a total of 2900.  

So you could get a high refund.  How much withholding in W2 box 2?  You get all that back plus the Stimulus plus the Child Tax Credit plus the EIC earned income credit.  So it could be right.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

my refund seems too high

Better check that W2.  Check the amounts in box 1 & 2 and watch out for the decimal point in the right place.  Sometimes they import wrong.  

Click on Wages and Income tab at the top
Then your W2 should be listed at the top. Click on Edit, Review or Revisit

And check line 30 for the Stimulus.  Did you get any of the first 2 Stimulus checks?  If you are Single with a dependent under 17 you should get 1700 (1200+500) for the first one and 1200 (600+600) for the second one for a total of 2900.  

So you could get a high refund.  How much withholding in W2 box 2?  You get all that back plus the Stimulus plus the Child Tax Credit plus the EIC earned income credit.  So it could be right.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies