turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child tax credit monthly refund says that my eligibility is pending. I have an amended return out, is there any way to get my refund while it is processing?

I had to amend my return to get the $10,200 unemployment tax credit for 2020 and to get some addition EIC credit that I became eligible for. I am well under the cut off for being eligible for the boosted child tax credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My child tax credit monthly refund says that my eligibility is pending. I have an amended return out, is there any way to get my refund while it is processing?

Sorry--no you cannot get your tax refund until the IRS completes the processing of your tax return.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Sorry, I realize I may not have been entirely clear. I wasn't talking about getting my amended return, I know that process can be very slow. I'm wondering if my amended return is what is holding back my monthly child tax credit and if there is any way to get that $250 per child per month. It seems strange to have to wait for my amended return when it shows me making less money than both my 2019 and original 2020 returns...

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are in the same situation. We filed an amended return on 4/29 (prompted by TurboTax) and our eligibility for the child tax credit is currently pending. I have no proof that the amended return is holding up our child tax credit eligibility, but that is my guess. If the IRS processes our amended return within the 16 weeks they promise, maybe we will get the our eligibility approved in time for August payments, but Im not holding my breath. What ever child tax credit we miss out on in 2021 will be added to the child tax credit amount when we file 2021 taxes in the Spring of 2022.

@Anonymous Do not hold your breath for the IRS to process your amended return in 16 weeks.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DE0123

Speaking of turbo tax, my amended refund per turbotax was supposed to be an additional $1300 after this unemployment credit, why did they send me $191? Turbo tax, why was your math so far off?

It looks like the IRS is doing the unemployment  adjustment separately from everything else happening with your tax return.

It's a mess.

If you become eligible for other credits, then after the adjustment comes, you have to amend again and wait some more.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies