turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JAK1974
Returning Member

My amended tax return shows complete on 09/10 when will I receive a check or dd

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Unknown ... not even the IRS has a posted time table.  Best guess is eventually.  

When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.   Watch your mailbox.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JAK1974
Returning Member

How long does it usually take for them the mail it out 

JAK1974
Returning Member

I still have not received my amended return and it’s like no one knows where it is😭

@JAK1974

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JAK1974
Returning Member

The site says it was completed 9/10/2021 but yet nothing. Also I was sent to a tax advocate and apparently there were questions about form 7202 that no one had made me aware of. Until my advocate was made aware. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The sick and family leave credit for self employed individuals can result in extra review time for the IRS to approve your return. 

As @xmasbaby0 says above you should allow the IRS a minimum of 6 months to process your amended return.  If it shows as accepted on 9/10 then that is the beginning of the process and six months from that date won't be until March.  If it shows some version of processing is complete then the only way to find out what is going on with your return is the contact the IRS.

If you feel that you must contact the IRS just be aware that they are heavily understaffed and backlogged.  They’re not easy to get a hold of.  Call first thing in the morning and prepare to be on hold for a long time.  This is the link to use to get ahold of them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies