turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g-rajul

My 2019 Amended return is not processed by IRS yet, Neither the status is available online. Since in Aug 2020 IRS has enabled e-file of 2019 amended return. Can I efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

My 2019 Amended return is not processed by IRS yet, Neither the status is available online. Since in Aug 2020 IRS has enabled e-file of 2019 amended return. Can I efile?

Yes, beginning with 2019 federal tax returns, you can e-file your 2019 amended return. For more information please click the link below.

Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return? - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
g-rajul

Sorry this doesn't answer my question. As I mentioned, I already mailed my 2019 Amended return to IRS in July 2020, but it is still not processed by IRS, Neither the status is available online. I get below message when I check for status

"Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later."

Its been way more than 16 weeks and I understand there is backlog because of Covid. 

My question is instead of waiting for IRS to go through millions of pending paper filed taxes/amendments, Is there a way I can e-file 2019 amendment using turbotax (regardless of the fact that I mailed it to IRS 6+ months ago)?

My 2019 State amendment is already processed.

I would not efile it.  They don't want you to file again if you already mailed it.  Did you mail it separately from the state?  Did you get a tracking number from the post office when you mailed it?  They are still behind opening the mail and processing 2019.  Just keep waiting.  Or try calling them to see if they got it.  Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, TurboTax does not handle the e-filing of 2019 federal returns or amended returns as it is too late to e-file any 2019 returns.  E-filing is for the current tax year only, for original and amended returns.  

We don't know yet if when the IRS opens Efiling on Feb 12 if that will include 2019 amended returns.

g-rajul

Yes I mailed it separately for state and federal. The tracking number shows it was delivered. 

And state amendment is already processed. 

g-rajul

[phone number removed] gives the exact same status as I mentioned in my replies earlier. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Since your amended return was mailed in, you should not e-file it as well. Please visit the "what you can expect" section of the IRS Operations During COVID-19 webpage that was recently updated. Click on the first plus sign to view the How long you may have to wait section. 

I am in the same exact situation.  Mailed around the same time as you and have the USPS receipt.  Just wondering how to approach filing 2020. 

What do you recommend we do in regards to the 2020 taxes?

You can e-file your 2020 Federal tax return using your AGI on the original 2019 return, or you can print and mail it to the IRS. Expect a delay in processing time whichever way you choose. 

chslas
Returning Member

So I will never be able to efile a 1040X for 2019?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you needing your AGI to file for 2020?  Try using 0 to see if this will allow you to continue with the filing. 

Loveandhipbop
Returning Member

Agi number i need it from irs but cant get through on line ir phone

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies