Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

More refund than reported

Should I be concerned that when I filed my return, I got refunded back more than I computed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Federal or state?  The govt will be sending you a letter. They do not notify TT, but could you have made a data entry error, or forgotten to claim an estimated tax payment (as I did one year)?

More money was refunded to us on our federal tax return. Do I need to be concerned?

I just received notification from my bank that my refund has been transmitted over.  For some reason, the amount is a small amount (0.1%) greater than the refund I filed.  First time I've ever seen this in almost 50 years of filing taxes (and probably 20+ using TT); what's going on?  Is the IRS doing my taxes now?  LOL... if so, I won't need to buy a tax program anymore...

Seriously, any thoughts?

Thanks!

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please don't worry over a 0.1% difference in what your TurboTax program calculated and what the IRS sent as a refund.

This is probably  a difference in how the TurboTax program rounded a figure (or figures) and how the IRS software rounded the same figures.

It could also be the result of differences in how certain calculations are made, specifically the order in which figures are calculated.

With all the changes that have been made to both IRS and TurboTax software since January 1, there could be minor differences in how certain entries are getting calculated. A 0.1% difference is immaterial.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/coronavirus-tax-relief-2019-tax-refund-interest 

The answer is that it was interest on my TY2019 tax refund because the IRS slipped the filing date from April to June of last year.   See hyperlink above.

This likely means we'll be seeing the same thing next year.

The amount was inconsequential, my concern was because it was not the figure I filed AND it wasn't a round number like IRS always uses (if it had been a correction).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies