Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rwenman

Mistake on filed return prior to filing deadline

Yikes...,  I cant believe I overlooked accounting for some social security income on our joint return!  Rather than a tax refund it appears I will owe the IRS money!  On top of that my incorrect return was accepted by the IRS.  My biggest concern is what should I do and when?  Should I submit an amended return now, prior to the filing date, or should I wait a couple weeks for the letter to come from the IRS before I file the amended return?  I am sure the IRS will see that I haven't accounted for my social security benefit, but there is the probability that the IRS will deposit cash into our account (e-file) I am not due.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

File an amended return if the IRS accepted your return and you owe additional tax. The longer you wait, the more penalty and interest will accrue.

It may be a while before the IRS corrects your return if it’s been accepted.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”

See How to Correct Federal Tax Returns and How do I amend my federal tax return for this year?

If the IRS bills you for penalty and interest after they accept your amended return, you can file for first-time penalty abate.

See Penalty Relief due to First Time Abate or Other Administrative Waiver.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I assume this applies to me as well.  My filing status is incorrect. I was not asked about HOH filing status.  It automatically said I had to file as Single.  It never had HOH in another section or as an option.  I have used TT for so many years with no problems so I trusted everything was correct or I would get an alert on the review but I did not. Within 15 minutes of efiling I knew that was wrong.  I am sure it won’t be rejected so I will have to wait now for it to be accepted and processed and then file an amended return. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Who is able to file as a head of household?

To qualify, you must meet certain criteria. To file as head of household, you must:

• Pay for more than half of the household expenses
  • Be considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year, and
  • You must have a qualifying child or dependent.

This tax filing status includes single parents and divorced or legally separated parents with custody of the child. Further, you can also be an adult who provides support for a parent or other relative under qualifying circumstances.

Please see this TurboTax Tip for more information about qualifying as HOH.  

For the purposes of the Head of Household filing status, a qualifying person is a child, parent, or relative who meets certain conditions, listed below.

The conditions are stricter than those for claiming a dependent; for example, you might be able to claim a roommate as your dependent, but never as a qualifying person for Head of Household status.

A qualifying child would be:

• Your child (including legally adopted), stepchild, foster child, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild or niece) AND
  • Permanently and totally disabled OR under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2020 (under 24 if a full-time student) and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) AND
  • Lived with you for more than half the year AND
  • Single (or if the child is married, you'd have to qualify to claim them as a dependent even if you're not going to claim them as such).

A child that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify as a relative for Head of Household. A qualifying relative would be:

• Your mother or father, if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (child, sibling, grandparent, nephew, aunt, step-parent, in-law, etc.) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies