turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmcquaid

Is the IRS notice CP89 for installment agreements sent on a calendar year? Or annually from the beginning of your agreement? My first payment was 9/30/2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is the IRS notice CP89 for installment agreements sent on a calendar year? Or annually from the beginning of your agreement? My first payment was 9/30/2020.

Procedure & Administration

The IRS CP 89, Annual Installment Agreement Statement , is not a "bill." If the taxpayer has entered into an installment agreement to make monthly payments for past due tax liabilities or has paid off the liability in the last 12 months, he or she will receive this notice.

Regs. Sec. 301.6159-1(i) requires the IRS to send every taxpayer on an installment agreement an annual statement that identifies the balance owed at the beginning of the year, the payments made during the year, and the remaining balance at the end of the year. Congress believed that taxpayers who entered into an installment agreement should be kept informed of amounts applied to the outstanding tax liability and amounts remaining due (S. Rep't No. 105-174, 105th Cong., 2d Sess., p. 98 (April 22, 1998)).

cmcquaid

So I will get the notice after I've made 12 months of payments and the notice will come "annually" beginning with the initial set up of the installment agreement?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies