turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Form CP80

I received IRS Form CP80 for my electronically filed tax return for 2019.  It is now November 2021.  I  have proof that the return was electronically filed and accepted, but they apparently have no record of the return.  The IRS has a $900 credit on my account and says it will be lost if I don't send printed copy of return.  I can't get through on the phone.  What's my best recourse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

IRS Form CP80

Mail a printed copy of your return and use a certified mail service so you know that it was received.  

IRS Form CP80

Make sure to sign the 1040 with INK then mail it ASAP as directed... it doesn't matter why they want it just comply.

IRS Form CP80

Dear Customer Service:

We received the IRS Notice Form CP80 on December 30, 2021, but the Notice Date on the form is November 22, 2021.  Why did this notice take so long to get to us? I am not sure why the IRS has and cashed our check for the Federal Taxes we owed, but does not have our Tax Return for 2020.  I mailed a copy of our Tax Return on 12/31/2021.  I am hopeful that the form has what is needed to solve the problem.  I sent the Tax Return forms via priority mail with tracking.  Tracking says that it will not be delivered until January 5th.  I have tried to call the IRS, but the message recording says that they have too many calls, so call back tomorrow.  

What else should I be doing.

Thanks,

Gary and Sally Reynolds

IRS Form CP80

First the IRS is way behind in everything  and  why something took so long to get mailed to you is a mystery that will not be solved.  They also give you a 30 day grace period after the requested date to comply with the notice so you have nothing to worry about.   Chances are your response will sit in a pile of work and will not even get looked at for several weeks ... again don't worry.  This happens to a few returns every year and you don't have anything to worry about ... they have the payment and that is the important part. 

IRS Form CP80

Study this page from IRS. I'm in the same situation as your but for Tax year 2020. Sounds like you need to refile because it's for year 2019.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp80-notice

Due to processing delays for 2019 and 2020 tax returns, the issuance of CP80 and CP080 (Unfiled Tax Return – Credit on Account) notices has been suspended. If you receive a notice for your 2019 return and you filed more than six months ago, please refile the return. If you receive a notice for your 2020 return DO NOT refile.

IRS Form CP80

I just rec'd, today, Feb 19 2022 a CP80 notice for my 2020 return. Notice was dated Dec 20 2021. I have USPS tracking proof they absolutely rec'd the return on March 8 2021 at 11:04 PM and they cashed my check to boot. The notice says I have a credit on account amount. I've read the comments that others with the same problem have made. So just to be sure I understand for the 2020 return I should do nothing? Is that correct?

IRS Form CP80

You need not do anything for 2020.

If you received a notice for your 2020 return do not refile.

If you received a notice for 2019, then refile the return.

Click on the link for more information

Understanding your CP 80 notice

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies