turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HateYou
Returning Member

IRS completely unavailable

I just submitted my returns through e-file and need to pay what I owe. When I try to apply for a payment plan through the IRS website I get a message that says they cannot complete my request at this time and to contact them by phone. When I called I got an automated response that said due to the high volume of calls in this category they are unable to take my call and it automatically disconnected. So now I am unable to pay what I owe by the deadline and am going to be penalized for it. How am I supposed to deal with that??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Anytime you cannot pay the full amount of tax due, you will be penalized and interest will be assessed. This occurs whether or not you set up a payment plan. If you cannot get through to them today, then make sure to pay what you are able to and keep trying to contact them or set up a plan via the website as soon as possible. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HateYou
Returning Member

You don't get it. The website isn't working. It STILL tells me to call them, and despite their hours being listed as 7am to 7pm, it is not even 7pm and when I call them it says they are closed. This is beyond unacceptable. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON SOMEONE SHOULD BE PENALIZED FOR SETTING UP A PAYMENT PLAN!!!! YOU ARE STILL PAYING!!!!!!! So NOW, for reasons BEYOND MY CONTROL and which is THEIR fault, I can't even set up a payment plan by the filing deadline which, according to you, wouldn't even make a difference because I will STILL BE PENALIZED. BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies