Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TyroneSuperNut
Returning Member

Information does not match

I am a 19 year old man who has been working since I was 17, and since then I have missed out on both stimulus checks and maybe even the third, and I have not been able to file tax returns for this year or last year, because the IRS always says my information does not match. I have my social security card, I enter everything exactly how it is on the card, I have tried all the variations, all caps address, dashes in the ssn, adding city to your address, nothing works. I cannot get irs on the phone. They either give me an automated message and then hang up, or put me through the automated system and then tell me they cannot give any information, and then hang up. I have called the social security department themselves and they say my information is correct. I had a discover card a few months ago, had it for a while and always paid on time, then they had me sign a consent form for tax information. As soon as the irs gets involved they close my account because they say my information does not match. I can do everything, get credit cards, phone contracts, pretty much anything, but anything involving the irs i cannot do because they say the information isnt correct. I have been browsing a forum post here with about 200 replies, and no officials ever reply to the forum except for giving the same copy and paste FAQ links that give absolutely no help. I go a few more years without being able to do taxes I wouldnt be surprised if they come out and accuse me of tax evasion. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What stopped you from just printing and mailing the tax returns?

TyroneSuperNut
Returning Member

How do I know they wont reject it too? And I will only find out after the weeks it takes to process. 

@TyroneSuperNut wrote:

How do I know they wont reject it too? And I will only find out after the weeks it takes to process. 

If you file the tax return with the exact same name and Social Security number that is on your current Social Security card there is no reason for the IRS to reject the mailed tax return as long as you sign and date the Form 1040.

TyroneSuperNut
Returning Member

This post was made on march 8th, and I mailed my return like the above said to, it is now may 13th. I have still not received anything, the "wheres my refund" page still says it cannot give any information. The funny thing is that I got my state tax return, so why is the federal taking so long, or am I even gonna get it? The information printed is exactly the same, I signed the paper and I had tracking on the mail and it says it was delivered. I just dont know what to do anymore. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you paper-filed by mail, expect delays.   You did the right thing by using a tracking service.

The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.    To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status.   If it's been accepted or mailed, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.   You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status.

Paper-filers: The IRS is taking longer than usual to process paper tax returns. They are processing them in the order they are received and ask that you wait at least 6 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund?

The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why your tax return has not shown up in the IRS system yet.  You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay.

When to contact the IRS

What makes refunds late?

Here is a link to a thread that details how to go through the automated phone prompts to reach a live representative.  The steps may save you some frustration.   You can also search for a local IRS office in your area.  It may be easier to contact a local representative than using the main phone number.    You can use the ''make an appointment'' option even if you have no intention of going to the office, but that may get you a live person on the phone that can provide you some info.   They have access to the same information.  

@TyroneSuperNut

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies