turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In Limbo on unemployment tax refund after filing taxes in February

I filed my taxes in  February, which included unemployment income. I was told NOT to amend my turbotax tax filing in order to get the additional refund due to the $10K+ of unemployment income not being taxed, so I did not. When I open Turbotax and take the update, it reflects the 'new' refund amount. when I look at the IRS sites, they only seem to know about what I filed in February so the IRS says I've been given my full refund. There doesn't seem to be anywhere or any way that I can confirm that the IRS knows they owe me additional money and when I will get it. Anyone else in this boat?  I can't check anything online and can't find a way to get through to someone to ask about this. I filed as Head of Household so I was expecting something in June, given the info I found online.  Any insights would be much appreciated.   Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The tax refund from the unemployment compensation exclusion is separate from the federal tax refund if you filed before March 26, 2021 using TurboTax and you are eligible for the refund.

Go to these IRS websites for information -

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sending-more-than-2-point-8-million-refunds-to-those-who-already-pa...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

Thank you. I appreciate your reply and the links. Other than the information online, there appears to be nothing I can do to verify the IRS is aware of this refund I am owed and when I will receive it. Mine was done direct deposit and is a simple return so it sounded like I should have gotten something in June. Do you (or anyone) have any additional insights, other than these links?  I appreciate you sending them but they don't really answer my question with any specific information. It's like my money is in a black hole and all I can do is hope it shows up some day. Tomorrow is July and no sign of the refund. Thanks.

@kcieplik The IRS has provided TurboTax with no information whatsoever concerning the status of tax refunds for the unemployment exclusion.

The only information is from the IRS links posted.  As stated by the IRS they are aware of all the tax returns filed with the unemployment compensation and they will adjust all those returns that are eligible and send tax refunds starting in May and then throughout the summer months.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies