turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IHSS live-in provider forgot to mention my income was IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income. How to file an amended return?

Hello I am IHSS live-in provider. This was the first time I prepared my taxes as an IHSS provider. My W2 Box 1 showed zero and my W2 Box 3 and 5 (Social Security Wages and Medicare Wages) showed the same amount of my actual income that IHSS paid me. I didn't know I had to report it as my Other Reportable Income according to this post (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-work-for-ihss-and-live-with-my-client-same-as-l...). But I've filed the 1040 tax return and I am wondering how to file an amended return and what should I write for Explanation of Changes in 1040X?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

IHSS live-in provider forgot to mention my income was IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income. How to file an amended return?

If your Box 1 had zero income, there was nothing for you to do. You would only have had to go through all the steps to exclude any Box 1 income had there been any. I am assuming Line 1 1040 had no income from IHSS.

But I've already mailed my 1040.  I just checked my IRS return status and it seems IRS hasn't accepted my return. Do I need to file an amended tax return because I forgot to do all those steps and report my income as IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income (I have zero federal income tax withheld and zero state income tax)? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you had 0 in box 1 you already excluded your income.  It will take a significant amount of time for a paper return to process.  Do not amend.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies