turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fc1009tax

How do I file a Form 8962 without doing a 1040X as requested from the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you have received a letter from the IRS asking for form 8962, Form 1095-A (Letter 0012C) first, please check which tax year the letter references.  If your notice does not specifically ask for a recalculated page 2 of your 1040, you may disregard that part of the directions. You will only need to provide what the IRS requests in their letter.

Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return. It’s used to calculate the amount of your Premium Tax Credit and reconcile any advance payments you received to help pay your health insurance premium.

We’ll help you complete this form with Turbo Tax and you do not have to submit an amendment, just print off and return the forms which the letter specified.  If the letter is for tax year 2017, follow the directions below. If the letter is for tax year 2016 or 2015, please click on the link at the bottom.

1.       Sign In to Turbo Tax

2.       Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents 

a.       If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show

3.       Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue

4.       Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online

5.       Do not click continue on the “We’ll help you change (amend) your return” screen. Simply go to the left menu and

6.       Click on the Federal and then the Health Insurance, at the top

7.       Answer the questions about your health coverage

8.       Select Yes, "Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2017?" to enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.

9.       On the That’s all we need on your 2017 coverage screen,

10.   Click Done with Health

11.   Select Tax Tools, on the left menu

12.   Select Print Center

13.   Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns

14.   Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need

15.   You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with

16.   Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A  (if needed)

a.     Or you can select forms filed with the government plus all worksheets

17.   Then, in the upper left corner of the pdf window, click on the download arrow and simply print those specific pages from your downloaded pdf or select the printer icon to print directly from this pdf window.

Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter (or fax number)

• Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
  • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • A copy of the IRS letter that you received
  • (If your letter asks for it) Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A

For letters for the tax year 2016, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5824742

For letters for the tax year 2015, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5239521 

You may also use the TurboTax Audit Support Center for additional help and information responding to the IRS notice.

Answered by TurboTaxTeresaM to this question

Because of TurboTax’s software not asking specific relevant questions regarding the PTC forms in its workflow process it has negatively impacted me and many others. I will never use TurboTax again nor will I recommend TurboTax to anyone. 

Your instructions were on point and helped me to the upmost. Thank you so much!!!!

I will not use them anymore either!! 

After having a Health Insurance tab for the last 6 years which required everyone to stop and answer the health insurance questions, the removal of that tab without warning was a TT error this year.    However, anyone with a 1095-A in hand to report should have asked about where to put it BEFORE they filed.  So the blame is on both parties IMHO. 

Having never receiving these type of documents before and being totally unfamiliar with them before I expected TurboTax to have my back. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies