turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sortasse

Still paying Parent Plus loan for daughter who graduated & no longer a dependent although was when I got the loan. Can I still deduct the loan interest?

IRS/TurboTax wording seems to require that daughter is still dependent

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Still paying Parent Plus loan for daughter who graduated & no longer a dependent although was when I got the loan. Can I still deduct the loan interest?

If you are liable for the loan and she was your dependent at the time it was taken out, you can continue to deduct the interest.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you are liable for the loan and she was your dependent at the time it was taken out, you can continue to deduct the interest.

Clabert270
Returning Member

How do I enter it on my taxes when she is no longer my dependent?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Try these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Click on Deductions & credits.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click Edit to the right of Student loan interest paid.
  • Under Let’s get your student loan info, under Whose name was the student loan in?, click You.

See this help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Clabert270
Returning Member

Hi,  Thank you for your answer.  I think since I became a widow, file single. and make too much money I do not qualify.  At least that is what a gather.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies