Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If someone filed my taxes in the past years and I beat them to it by fililing with TurboTax will I be able to receive the check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If someone filed my taxes in the past years and I beat them to it by fililing with TurboTax will I be able to receive the check

No.  You need to notify the IRS so that they can issue you a Identity PIN to use when filing.

How can you tell your tax account is affected?

Typically, most victims are unaware that their information has been taken, so, in the case of income tax fraud, your first indication of trouble may be a notice of irregularity from the Internal Revenue Service. Such irregularities could include:

• More than one return has been filed in your name
  • Your account shows a balance due, refund offset or collections action for a year you were not required to file a return
  • IRS records indicate income from an employer you've never worked for
  • Information filed with the IRS shows more income than you actually earned, or
  • You had state or federal benefits canceled or reduced due to an income change report that you didn't make

Protecting your tax file if identity theft is suspected

When you receive a notice from the IRS regarding activity about which you are unaware, respond immediately. Then, fill out Form 14039, the Identity Theft Affidavit, which informs the IRS of your experience with identity theft.

Form 14039 also is used in cases where an event occurs that may make you vulnerable to identity theft, such as a lost or stolen wallet, or other misuse of personal information that may allow a thief to file a return in your name. Support your identity theft affidavit with clear photocopies of one or more of the following personal identification documents:

• Passport
  • Driver's license
  • Social Security card, or
  • Any other valid U.S. federal or state-issued ID

You can also contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit by phone if you have reason to suspect you may be vulnerable to an identity attack.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No.  You need to notify the IRS so that they can issue you a Identity PIN to use when filing.

How can you tell your tax account is affected?

Typically, most victims are unaware that their information has been taken, so, in the case of income tax fraud, your first indication of trouble may be a notice of irregularity from the Internal Revenue Service. Such irregularities could include:

• More than one return has been filed in your name
  • Your account shows a balance due, refund offset or collections action for a year you were not required to file a return
  • IRS records indicate income from an employer you've never worked for
  • Information filed with the IRS shows more income than you actually earned, or
  • You had state or federal benefits canceled or reduced due to an income change report that you didn't make

Protecting your tax file if identity theft is suspected

When you receive a notice from the IRS regarding activity about which you are unaware, respond immediately. Then, fill out Form 14039, the Identity Theft Affidavit, which informs the IRS of your experience with identity theft.

Form 14039 also is used in cases where an event occurs that may make you vulnerable to identity theft, such as a lost or stolen wallet, or other misuse of personal information that may allow a thief to file a return in your name. Support your identity theft affidavit with clear photocopies of one or more of the following personal identification documents:

• Passport
  • Driver's license
  • Social Security card, or
  • Any other valid U.S. federal or state-issued ID

You can also contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit by phone if you have reason to suspect you may be vulnerable to an identity attack.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

They accepted my taxes i explained the situation and things have been lining up 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies