turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I did not file the 2nd Stimulus -received in January 2021- in tax file of 2020. is this correct? if not correct, What I have to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If I did not file the 2nd Stimulus -received in January 2021- in tax file of 2020. is this correct? if not correct, What I have to do?

In the program, it asked how much you received for each stimulus. Any amount that you did not receive, was added to your refund. Are you saying you received a stimulus check and then answered that you did not receive the second stimulus check? Your tax return would be wrong. The IRS may catch it in cross checking. If not, you will need to file an amended return and repay the money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for reply 

If I received the 2nd stimulus in 2021, why I should file it in 2020?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS began distributing them in Dec 2020 and Congress has chosen to have it count on the 2020 tax return. Why Congress does anything that they do, I don't know. So, you got it in the beginning of 2021 for a payment begun in 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reason to include the 2nd check in the 2020 return.

@ TT this answer should be added to the help section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies