turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nphodges

I tried E-filing but I keep getting an error so I changed the selection to print. How I get the option to E-File again. I am stationed overseas.

An error message kept popping up when I tried to E-File my federal return. I changed to option to file by mail instead but I'm stationed overseas so it isn't convenient. How do I get the option to E-file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I tried E-filing but I keep getting an error so I changed the selection to print. How I get the option to E-File again. I am stationed overseas.

If TurboTax thinks you were finished and were going to print and mail, your return interview will need to be opened to change the filing method.   To do that, log in and go to the Tax Home (it may open at the Tax Home already).   Then to open the interview click on the link "Add a State."  That won't really add one, but will open the interview back up.   Then once inside your return, go to the REVIEW tab to see if there is anything preventing you from efiling.  Then go to the FILE section and change the filing method from print/mail to efile.

If you get some error message in regards to efiling, post in the forum describing the problem in detail, and someone may be able to tell you what to do.

@nphodges 

ADDENDUM:

Also be aware that while it is technically possible to efile now, the IRS has not yet opened up to start processing 2020 returns.  They will open for processing on February 12, 2021.   If you efile before then, your return will sit on TurboTax servers in "pending" status until the IRS starts pulling returns on February 12.   The IRS pulls a very small number of returns early for testing purposes, but for most people it will be February 12 or soon after.

A common error some people get when efiling this early is that one or more forms may not yet available for efiling.  When you go through the REVIEW tab, it should tell you if any of your forms are not yet available.  Here are tables that show availability dates for various forms in the Federal and state returns.   

TurboTax IRS Federal Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies