turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sent my 1040x or ammendment return to the wrong irs address and I can't get a hold of the irs to ask what to do because it says they haven't received it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I sent my 1040x or ammendment return to the wrong irs address and I can't get a hold of the irs to ask what to do because it says they haven't received it

If you are sure you sent it to the incorrect address then you can re mail a copy.  If they forwarded your return then the first to be filed will be accepted and the second one ignored.  Pick your state for the address needed ... https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

How long ago?   It takes about 3 weeks before an amended return shows up on the IRS web site and you can probably add a week or two for it to get forwarded to the proper place.

You can check the status of your mailed amended return at this link but allow 3 weeks after mailing before checking.
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-%28Form-1040-X%29/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1">...>

However, if you send a 2nd copy, and the 1st one does get entered in addition, that will probably extend the already slow 16 weeks (4 months) to process an amended return considerably since they will have to have a human review both to resolve the two and that takes time.

If you do send a 2nd amended return be sure to write in big letters that this is a copy of an amended return already mailed to the wrong address at the top.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
C094

I sent mine over a month ago and I checked to see the status of it and there's nothing on file... I'm nervous to find out what that means. 

Did they get it? Did I mail it wrong? Etc

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies