turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I redid my taxes and I claimed myself independent. It’s been over 16 weeks where is my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I redid my taxes and I claimed myself independent. It’s been over 16 weeks where is my stimulus check?

Don't count on getting a stimulus check this year based on an amended return, even if it has been 16 weeks.

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

If the IRS does not process your amended return in time for you to get a stimulus check this year, you will be able to get it next year when you file a 2020 return--assuming you are not someone else's dependent for 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

<<"I claimed myself independent.">>

It's not quite that easy.  If you qualify under IRS rules to be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer, then as far as the IRS is concerned, you are a dependent - even if the other person doesn't actually claim you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I am independent though I’m an icu nurse and it was my first time doing my taxes on my own and the first time I did it I accidentally clicked the box that said I was dependent. Spoke with my mom and realized I should’ve clicked independent. I paid extra to amend my taxes but haven’t heard a word back.

@jesica-nguyen07- As stated earlier,  even if you amended your return to change the way you answered the question in My Info about being claimed as someone else's dependent, you cannot expect a quick result from amending your return.  Not sure why you "paid extra" to amend unless you upgraded to a higher version of the software when you amended. Paying extra fees does not speed up the process.  The IRS is currently digging its way through about 11 million mailed returns, so there is no way to know when yours will make it to the surface, and how long it will be for them to process your return.  You are not likely to get a stimulus check--be very pleasantly surprised if you do get one by the end of the year.  More likely you will simply get it next year when you prepare and file your 2020 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

“I redid my taxes”

Just to clarify, how did you “redo” your taxes?  Once your original return has been e-filed and accepted, the ONLY way to “redo” it is to file an amended return on IRS Form 1040X.  Form 1040X must be printed and mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.  As @xmasbaby0  said, the IRS is far behind in processing paper returns because of COVID.  (Note: the IRS is currently moving toward allowing e-filing of amended returns.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Yes I printed out the 1040x form and mailed it in. Also there was an option to amend taxes through turbo tax and it made me pay $120🙁. I went through and did all that. I think I may just end up getting the stimulus check next year 2021 thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies