turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a letter from the IRS saying that my ex husband and I owe $7806.25 from 2017 taxes. We forgot to file two W2s from that year but we have them now - could we just file them with this years t

It's a notice CP22A and it says "Changes to your 2017 form 1040A." I spoke to someone at the IRS who told me about the 2 W2s but was unable to offer any other advice.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I recieved a letter from the IRS saying that my ex husband and I owe $7806.25 from 2017 taxes. We forgot to file two W2s from that year but we have them now - could we just file them with this years t

No, you cannot file a 2017 W-2 with your 2019 tax return.  You can only report a the tax data from a 2017 W-2 on a 2017 tax return.  You will need to amend the 2017 tax return that was filed to include the W-2's.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2017 tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/01/27372

Note - The federal amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed to the IRS.  Any taxes owed have to paid by check or money order and included with the mailed amended tax return.

See this IRS website for a CP22A notice - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp22a-notice

If the notice is correct then you do not need to amend the return ... simply agree and pay up.  The sooner the better since the penalties and interest continue to accrue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

if the IRS is right and it's not asking for an amended return,  you don't need to file.   

it would also be impossible to file an amended return without his consent.

the $7,000+ will include late payment penalties and interest which alone can be more than $2,000 of the bill  (you should see this on the notice)   

you mighty want to consider engaging the services of a pro to see if they can get some of the penalties abated. you might even qualify for equitable relief.  since it seems your saying that part of the understatement was due to a W-2 for you not being reported and part due to a W-2 for him not being reported, you won't qualify for innocent spouse relief since some of the balance is due to your income not being reported .     there may be other avenues open that a pro can discuss with you,  

note that your ex may have gotten the same bill and if part of this tax bill is due to his unreported W-2, why should you pay it all 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies