turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently discovered that my state income tax on my W2 was set to the state of Colorado even though I live and work in kansas, it has been this way since I started my job in 2019 but I only recently

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I recently discovered that my state income tax on my W2 was set to the state of Colorado even though I live and work in kansas, it has been this way since I started my job in 2019 but I only recently

First contact your employer to make sure that this won't be an issue in the future.

You should file your W-2 as it is then file a Non-resident return for Colorado showing that you have no income that is taxable to Colorado in order to get your money back. Also file your Kansas resident return. As a full year resident all your income is taxable in Kansas. 

To fix your 2019 return, you need to amend it:

To amend prior year return:

1. Sign in to your account
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select the tax year  and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  4. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will I have to make up any differences with state income taxes?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies