turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duckies40

I received the stimulus money but did not receive the $500 for my son. What do I need to do in order to receive that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I received the stimulus money but did not receive the $500 for my son. What do I need to do in order to receive that?

I assume your son is 16 years old or younger as of 12.31.19 

please review the tax return that you filed 

then, look at where their names are listed on the return.  OVER TO THE RIGHT in column 4, there is a check mark in either the column marked "child tax credit" or "other dependent tax credit". 

if the check is under "child tax credit", then it's an IRS error.   I

if the check is under "other dependent tax credit" and the child is under 17, then there is something you did incorrectly when answering the questions when the form was filled out.  Any way to go back and see what may have been answered incorrectly.  Suggest having someone watch over your shoulder. 

Post back what you find and we can go from there. 

Child tax credit was marked.

yuck - that is an IRS error.  

suggestions

1) wait and see if the extra money shows up

2) wait until the IRS call centers open up and you can get through to them,

3) settle up on your 2020 tax return next year 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc) 
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where a dependent was missed), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

I’m thanks for the help 

Dsnyder81

Hello , my son is 17 does he not get anything for a stimulus check . I recurved only for my and my 16 year old daughter and when I went to try to set up for him it said he isn’t eligible since I claimed him as a dependent ? I do not understand why he doesn’t count as a US citizen

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Dependents o not qualify for the stimulus and the $500 payment is only for dependents 16 and under.

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I he’s under 16

@Duckies29 wrote:

I he’s under 16

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A29. If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies