Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How long does it take to receive an amended refund

My amended taxes were received by the IRS on Oct. 1, 2020, per verifying with the postal service  of delivery, and as of today Jan. 13, 2021, has no process information.  I am wondering who do I contact.

@annothomas wrote:

My amended taxes were received by the IRS on Oct. 1, 2020, per verifying with the postal service  of delivery, and as of today Jan. 13, 2021, has no process information.  I am wondering who do I contact.

Due to the pandemic and limited staffing at the IRS the IRS is processing paper filed tax return in the order received.  Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

As stated on the IRS website -

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

The IRS received my amended form on March 30 2020 per their website and it has still not been process. I did call the phone number and talked to someone there is nothing wrong with my return it is just taking that long to be processes

How did you find out that your funds were being released? I sent my amended return in 07/2019 and i’ve heard absolutely NOTHING. i’m so frustrated I can’t find anything on the IRS website about my return either 

@mhewett123 wrote:

How did you find out that your funds were being released? I sent my amended return in 07/2019 and i’ve heard absolutely NOTHING. i’m so frustrated I can’t find anything on the IRS website about my return either 

IRS website for the status of an amended return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

1Patrick
Returning Member

Replying to annothomas - I'm in the same situation you were in.  Sent my amended and got the post office confirmation it was delivered 8 weeks ago.  The IRS website however doesn't have any record of my return.  The link to check the status of the amended return shows mine as unavailable.  Did you get yours sorted out?  How long did it take for it to show up in the IRS system?

STILL NOTHING. I am furious I don’t know what to do. The website still says unavailable so I guess i’m freaking out $400 that I was supposed to get. pissed. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The IRS says it will take up to 16 weeks to process once they receive the Form 1040-X.  For more information, click here:  https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

@mhewett123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yeah funny!! uhm I amended my return JULY 2019...so pissed is an understatement. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If it's for 2019, likely the IRS was holding your return off for some reasons.  I will suggest you to contact the IRS at  866-464-2050.  

Check your amended status

@mhewett123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This year we could efile so I did will it still take 12 weeks 

i submitted an amended return in march 2020. i was told i would receive the money dec 22 because of covid. now i'm told they dont know when i will get it. i need it!!!!! if i owed the money they would be bugging me and demanding interest. bull crap

@lolak70   Per the IRS:

Will filing my Amended Return be processed faster when filed electronically?

Currently, the normal processing time of up to 16 weeks also applies to electronically filed Amended Returns.

Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

this IRS is about 29 million returns behind. Anything paper filed is going to take a long time to even show up as processing. This is from an IRS agent, my work actually got it today. (Iwork at an accounting firm):

Several weeks ago I was working on a related case and spoke to an agent and we had a lengthy conversation about the "manual" backlog.  In summary this is what I learned:

This person was working from home and only went to the office when called to do so.  Even the management only went to the office about 1 day per week.  This person observed what was happening as the IRS shut down for Covid reasons.  Initially the records had been stored in FIFO order.  But this order was lost when the records were loaded in to trucks to be moved at the beginning of the Covid evacuation.   The records were not loaded in FIFO order.  There was no specific order of the records being loaded.  The result is that no one knows exactly what is any specific trailer.  If you want a particular document, no one knows which trailer it is in.  According to this person those trailers are located around the US and no one knows what exactly is in any trailer, so when a trailer is brought in for processing, they learn what is in the load to be processed.  That was about it.

Based on this, my expectation is that new documents are now being recorded and will be processed after the first millions  of (now random) documents have been processed.  It is also my speculation that the IRS does not have "document tracking" capability in its system until the document is "being processed".

This situation has caused me to modify my decision making process because I have no idea when (or if) many items will be processed.

Jared 69

If you choose option 2 you still won't talk to a live representative. It will say sorry we couldn't take your all other representatives are busy try another time and you get hung up on.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies