Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed and paid my federal taxes in April; however, I just made an amendment and got a new refund. Is this refund reflective of what I paid in April?

April: owed federal and got refund from state; paid taxes due.
July: made an amendment and now see federal return and additional state return

I am trying to understand if I will be getting a refund on the taxes I already paid due to the error I made when I completed my tax return in April.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I owed and paid my federal taxes in April; however, I just made an amendment and got a new refund. Is this refund reflective of what I paid in April?

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any 1040V voucher that prints out and the new 1040. Those are what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

If you already paid the tax owed, then you will get a refund.  The amended return assumes that all refunds were paid or all tax debts were settled before the amended return was prepared.  In other words, if you originally owed $500, and you paid it, and the amended return shows you should really owe $400, you would get $100 of your payment back as a new refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies