Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never got the second stimulus payment due to closing that checking account. However, I have no way to file for the rebate to get that money in the return?

I keep reading I'm supposed to file the Rebate Recovery Credit form since my 2nd payment got bounced back to the IRS on account of that checking account getting deactivated due to fraud. But TurboTax won't let me fill anything out for the form, and says I got everything I should get just from the first covid relief payment. But I know that I qualified for the second one too. Very confused as to how I should take care of this without forking out more money to actually talk to TurboTax people
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I never got the second stimulus payment due to closing that checking account. However, I have no way to file for the rebate to get that money in the return?

No, you should receive credit for the payment that was never received. You are entitled to it. Go back into your return and claim your Rebate Recovery Credit.

1. Log into turbo tax
  2. Click on Federal Review 
  3. Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount>continue
  4. Next screen asks Did you get a stimulus payment? Yes
  5. Then a drop down will appear and this is where you enter your first and second round stimulus payments. If you receive the first round, you will record $1200. For the second round, you will put 0.
  6. The next screen will inform you you just received a $600 credit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah,  I get how it is supposed to go. I entered the value for the first stimulus (~920 due to income in 2019) and a zero in the other box for payment 2. On the next screen it says that "We are confident you got every dollar you could based on your 2020 income of XXX" and it doesn't give me any options? It doesn't seem that my federal refund changed at all, and since TurboTax thinks I've gotten everything I am entitled to, I can't figure out how to tell it that I am still owed the second stimulus payment. 

When can I claim a stimulus credit on my taxes?

According to the IRS, you'll be able to claim a missing payment on your taxes in the coming weeks, with any payments going out after mid-February. You can start preparing your taxes now -- through its Free File tax preparation service, if you qualify to use it -- or through a tax-preparation service. The first day the IRS will begin accepting and processing individual tax returns is Feb. 12. The tax-filing deadline is April 15 this year, but you can file a tax extension if you can't make the deadline.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies