turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

manibeze

I need to amend my 2020 tax return to add 1098-T

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

If you have not filed your return than you can add this information by going to Education Credits and add the 1098-T form.

If you have already filed your return then you will need to file an amended return.  I would wait until the original return is accepted by the IRS.  This will avoid any error from duplicate returns.

Fortunately, the IRS has a simple process in place that allows you to amend your tax return.

Step 1: Gather all new tax documents

This includes any new  1098T,1099 or W-2 you receive if you under-reported your income. If you are claiming a new deduction or credit, any document that supports your eligibility to claim it such as a receipt will be helpful. It's also a good idea to have a copy of your original tax return available.

Step 2: Form 1040X

Download a copy of IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Income Tax Return. This is the only form you can use to amend a personal tax return. You can easily find it using the search function on the TurboTax website.

Step 3: Identify the error or amendment you wish to make

If you are correcting an error on your original tax return, you will need a blank copy of that particular form from the same year. This will allow you to recalculate your tax and to see which numbers on the original tax return will change as a result of the amendment. You can find IRS forms from prior years using TurboTax's prior-year returns function, or you can search through the IRS website for it.

Step 4: Download and prepare new schedules and attachments

When you prepare an amended return, the IRS only wants you to update figures that change. It doesn't require you to complete an entire tax return. However, if any of the original schedules you filed will change because of your amendment, then those schedules must be prepared again and attached to your Form 1040X.

Step 5: Fill out Form 1040X according to the instructions

Write a clear explanation of your reasons for filing the Form 1040X. Attach all forms you are amending along with any new supporting documentation and mail them to the address provided for your location in the Form 1040 instructions. This will be the same IRS service center that processed your original income tax return. Include a payment for any additional tax due. If you don't include the payment, the IRS may assess interest and penalties on the unpaid balance.

Filing an amendment with TurboTax

If you originally filed your return with TurboTax, we can help streamline the steps outlined above. If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”

Tips
• You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Heads up
• Amended returns can take up to three months for the IRS to process.

All you need to know is yourself

Just answer simple questions about your life, and TurboTax Free Edition will take care of the rest.

I need to do the same thing in terms of amending my return.  I have filed my 2020 taxes, it's been accepted, I go into Turbo tax and choose to Amend my form and after a couple of screens get a message saying "The IRS is still working on the amended return area for 2020.  That means this area isn't quite ready yet."  Then it asks for you to check back.  However, when I google this form, it looks like the IRS approved the form back in January 2021 so I'm confused as to why this isn't updated in Turbo Tax.  I checked and all of my updates have been done.

@rguillerault wrote:

I need to do the same thing in terms of amending my return.  I have filed my 2020 taxes, it's been accepted, I go into Turbo tax and choose to Amend my form and after a couple of screens get a message saying "The IRS is still working on the amended return area for 2020.  That means this area isn't quite ready yet."  Then it asks for you to check back.  However, when I google this form, it looks like the IRS approved the form back in January 2021 so I'm confused as to why this isn't updated in Turbo Tax.  I checked and all of my updates have been done.

The IRS Form 1040-X and 1040-X Instructions available on the IRS website is for tax year 2019 and prior.  It is not yet available for tax year 2020 and prior - https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x

The forms for amending a return will not be available until February 26th

Actually the 1040X form I was looking at appears to be for previous tax years....is there any indication when the IRS will come out with the 2020 tax year 1040X form?

Thank you -- I realized after the fact that I was looking at a form that didn't include the 2020 tax year.

@rguillerault wrote:

Actually the 1040X form I was looking at appears to be for previous tax years....is there any indication when the IRS will come out with the 2020 tax year 1040X form?

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

Thank you -- I realized after the fact that I was looking at a form that didn't include the 2020 tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies